WLP01 - anyone else find it too vigorous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat147

Reaction score
Hi, I've been using WLP01 for years and love it, but recently I'm finding that it goes off so quick it causes problems for itself. The growth phase creates a huge foam head that climbs up and out of the conical (stir plate) or the FV tank.
I know that others find this effect (vigorous growth) also as I've seen the photos, and its fairly normal. But my last big batch stopped short at 1.024 after a load of yeast foam climbed up and out of the tank. After racking my brain for a few days my conclusion is that the yeast biomass left the wort and failed to leave behind a volume enough to finish the ferment? Sure enough, there was a lot of foam on top of the wort after 2 weeks, which I've now stirred back in - hoping that the ferment will continue and the gravity will drop further.
Can anyone confirm this effect has happened to them? Or am I just staying up too late at night??

It's always fermented with vigor, though mine fully attenuates every time. If you're concerned about foam issues, consider FermcapS, a couple drops in your wort prior to pitching will keep the foam way down with no ill effect.

Yeah good thinking - we got a thing called antifoam, which I've never thought of using before, that oughta fix it?
Cheers

jat147 said:
Yeah good thinking - we got a thing called antifoam, which I've never thought of using before, that oughta fix it?
Cheers

I would think so. WLP001 certainly does seem to produce a much larger Nd longer lasting kraeusen than most other strains.

Latest posts

Back