I need a crash course in wine making... ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
I have a bunch of grapes ready to come off of a vine. White grapes. Can someone get me a step my step, that will get me into the first carboy.

FYI... grapes are my dads, he's gone on vaca left no instructions, just called me to inform me that "I need to get me @ss to his house on such and such day, pick the grapes and make some wine." I know lovely man.

Will this get me there?

1. pick grapes
2. destem wash
3. crush grapes put in bucket
4. add campdem tablets and yeast nutrient
5. nextday add yeast and sugar(how much?)
6. stir three times a day for 4 days
7. rack to a carboy, leaving skin and solids behind.

Those are the basic steps, though if you want a white wine you are going to want to remove the skins after step 3. Otherwise you will have a tannic, slightly tinted (depending on the skin colour) white wine.

As others have mentioned, Jack Keller's site is just absolutely amazing. However, I have been using "Winemaking" by Stanley and Dorothy Anderson, which has proven to be an incredibly helpful reference. I have read it cover to cover and am now brewing my first batch: Peach Wine, from the recipe on page 90.

ISBN 0-15-697095-3, btw.

Back