Critique my APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organicrust

Reaction score
Alright, I am getting ready to bottle this beer soon and I want to brew it again in order to better learn my system.

I am pretty happy with how my gravity samples have tasted, although I feel that the hop character is lacking. I'd also like more of a toasty flavor rather than sweet maltiness.

APA1 (no names until it's been carbonated)

Efficiency 75.00%
OG 1.059
FG 1.015
IBU 46.8
IBU/GU 0.79

9 lbs american 2-row
10 oz crystal 40
10 oz vienna
10 oz flaked wheat

0.5 oz Centennial 90'

0.5 Amarillo 15'
0.5 Centennial 15'

0.5 Amarillo 5'
0.5 Centennial 5'

0.5 Amarillo 0'
0.5 Centennial 0'

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

I like the recipe and give it a little time, the hop character might show itself. Since you are looking for toasty rather than malty sweetness. Try this- Mash lower to achieve a dryer beer. Drop the vienna and add 6-8 Victory Malt or you can replace all the basemalt with a more toasty base like Maris Otter and not use any victory malt. Maybe something like this.

9lbs Maris Otter
10oz C-40
10oz Flaked Wheat
mash lower
or

9lbs Am 2row
10 oz C-40
10oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Victory Malt
Mash a few degrees lower than previous batch.

BTW I think your hops schedule looks good

To get less sweetness and more toastiness, I would replace the c-40 with victory or biscuit. Upping your late additions slightly or dry-hopping with an oz of each hop will help your hoppiness. Your beer may also be exactly where you want it once it's cold and carbed, so I'd wait to try a few before you change anything.

I agree on upping the later additions (5m and dry-hop). Aroma is what you want from those and it fades easily. Victory is great for toasty/biscuity taste.

up your amount of vienna relative to base malt (~10-20% vienna) and use around a half pound of victory or even better, amber malt if you can get it. This will get you a lovely toasty base to work with. personally I would save the knockout hops for a dry hop addition and up the amount of each hop variety to be used in the dry hop about .25oz

Back