Kegerator/Compressor "This Side Up?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, in discussing with some friends... they advised transporting a kegerator on its side would be bad form - apparently the compressor and its fluid and oil and such would mix all together and be a problem when it gets right side up again.

Seems logical, but I never heard of it.

Anyone ever hear of this?

I've heard it before. No idea if it's true, but I've heard it. I will say that when I bought a used fridge on ebay, the guy I bought it off of said that if I had to transport it on it's side, then I should let it stand upright for a full day before plugging it in.

I did have to transport it on it's side, and I did let it stand for a day before using it and it does work, so....

I have heard that you should leave a fridge or freezer upright for a certain time before turning it on if its been transported on its side, I think the general rule of thumb was leave it for the same amount of time it was on its side. I think it had something to do with the fluid also lubricates the compressure so if you don't let it drip back into the resovoir it will run dry and destroy the bearings, the manufacturers could also be being a bit overly cautious in regards to this as I have heard of people turning on straight away without having a problem but why risk it!

See - It pays to ask people who've done it before.

Letting it sit for at least a day,if not as long as it was on it's side... seems like a logical rule of thumb.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back