Start my first brew tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Hey all. So I got all the equipment, and tomorrow I'm gonna go for my first batch. I have a few questions on sanitation though. Must the pot I'm using to boil the wort be completely sanitized or just cleaned? My understanding is while everything must be clean, the only things that must be sanitized are that which come into contact with the beer post-boil. Also, must I sanitize all my equipment even though it's all brand new (with the exception of the boiling pot)? Also, the tools sanitized with iodophor shouldn't be rinsed after, correct?

Any other helpful tips/words of wisdom are welcome. I'm going to be doing a Nut Brown Ale for my first batch. Out of curiosity, how long would you recommend I let the primary/secondary fermentation go for?

On a side note- do most of you go for recycled beer bottles or new bottles. I have a friend with a decent amount of old glass coke bottles, but I don't know if they'll work...I think the old coke bottles are screw-off caps, and I heard that those tend to not work too well. I just can't help but cringe at the thought of paying for 50 12oz beer bottles when I could just go collect the remnants of a weekend college party and get the same thing free.

Thanks =)

1) You don't need to sanitize your boil pot (the act of boiling will sanitize it for you), but do make sure it is very clean
2) Yes, you need to sanitize everything that touches your wort/beer post boil new or not
3) I use recycled beer bottles. Not too sure about the coke but just general rules of thumb for bottles: brown are best, green are ok, and clear are sub par, avoid twistoffs if you can (it is possible to cap them corectly, but it can be hard unless you have a bench capper)

I would play it safe and sanitize all your stuff (that you use post-boil). Why run the risk for no reason?

As for bottles, I am a newbie still, but I plan to use recycled bottles. I am just going to use a bottle cleaner and scrub/sanitize them very thoroughly.

sanitize everything post-boil.. get in the habit, even though it's new you still run the risk of contamination...

I used a combo of new and recycled bottles (no twist-off tops)
I found it difficult to collect the number of bottles that I needed for my first two batches, but now I'm recycling my own and still picking up a few used ones from time to time...

I store the bottles clean and then wash them again just prior to bottling. I use a vinagator with star sans to sterilize them. After the vinagator I just place the bottles on the dishwasher rack and do my bottling over the open dish washer door.

It's nice to have the cardboard cases to tote them around too...you can usually get those at a bar....

I'm new to this too and am in the process of my first batch. I would go ahead and sanitize everything even though it's brand new. Better safe than sorry, and you don't know if something managed to weasel its way into the package some how. The boil will sanitize everything in the pot while it's in a boil, so be sure that everything coming in contact with the wort after the boil is sanitized. You don't necessarily have to sanitize the pot as long as it is clean, but it will only take an extra minute so why not?

The used bottles will work as long as their pop tops and not twist offs. If you clean them and sanitize them they're fine to use.

Having just gone through my first brew, I would recommend making a checklist and have everything you need in the area before you start. This way you're not running to the other room to grab something and you come back to a boil over or some other mess. Also run through the directions one time in your head before you start. This way you're more familiar with what step you have to do next and it becomes a more fluid process. Not to mention, it may prevent you from forgetting a step.

Make sure you have some type of timer, and give yourself enough time to go through the process without being pressed for time.

Last but certainly not least, drink a beer while your brewing your beer! Good luck!

I'm curious as to why clear bottles are subpar?

Also, any recommendations are to primary/secondary fermentation times? About one week of each, plus another week in the bottle before refrigeration?

Last but certainly not least, drink a beer while your brewing your beer!

This is key to the brewing process. Let your wort see some good craft beer (or homebrew after your first batch) to inspire it. "See this? This is what you could be if you put your mind to it. Grow up big and strong, and maybe someday it'll be you in this bottle."

I talk to my yeast too, but that's a post for another thread.
:mug:

I'm curious as to why clear bottles are subpar?

Ultraviolet light react with the oils in hops. This causes skunking over a long enough timeline. For our intents and purposes as homebrewers, clear bottles are fine as long as they're stored in the dark (ie: in a box for aging, your fridge for chilling).

Unless you have a glass door on your fridge, or store your bottles out in the yard or something, clear bottles are fine for short term storage. If you're going to let it sit in the bottle for a 6+ months, then yeah, use amber bottles.

"See this? This is what you could be if you put your mind to it. Grow up big and strong, and maybe someday it'll be you in this bottle.":mug:

hahaha, giving your wort a motivational speech makes it perform better and also enhances the flavor.

Quick question, I decided against picking up a hydrometer for now- I had the cash on hand to get just about everything but. So should I just leave the primary fermentation for a good week-1.5 wks before moving to secondary, since there's no sure way to tell?

There will be no for sure way to tell when you're done fermenting and also the true ABV of your beer without the hydro.. That's not a huge deal though. I know a few guys that REFUSE to use a hydro and still get the same results as the rest of us. Quick rule of thumb... 1..2..3.. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle for conditioning. Especially if you don't have a hydro, I'd stick with that schedule.

1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle for conditioning. Especially if you don't have a hydro, I'd stick with that schedule.

Does the temperature of the secondary need to be monitored as closely as the primary?

Two things I missed on first batch about a week ago.

1. Didn't pitch my yeast long enough, didn't mix in yeast when pitching.

2. Didn't aerate nearly enough....

This lead to a higher FG than I expected.....but I'm believing that if I leave it in the secondary for an extra week or two....maybe the yeast will keeping working. (At least that is my home.)

Enjoy your first batch...it is addicting.

Back