Have Trappist (high grav) yeast cake. Needed: recipe to pitch on to of it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Ok all, so here's the deal. I currently have a high grav. Belgian Strong Ale going in primary. My brewing partner and I are planning on making a "stone soup" beer with lots of leftovers. So we were BSing the other day, and decided that using this yeast cake would be a good idea. So here are the specs.

OG: 1.096
FG: (estimated) 1.019.

So we're looking at a big beer as the first one off the cake. What I need to know is whether or not the yeast we are using (Wyeast 3787 High Grav Trappist) will hold up to a "second running" if you will.

I have a few ideas. Basically, make a high grav beer around 1.120 which would be an increase for said yeast. My other thought: Make two worts, three days apart, both 2.5 gallons and around 1.120 and pitch onto the yeast cake.

I really don't know if any of this will work, and I really don't want to waste the ingredients. If I'm going to get a good beer with either approach, then I'm down. Otherwise, I'd rather make something with fresh yeast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

I don't see why it would not work. There was an article in BYO a few years back where the author used a high gravity yeast for a pretty big beer. I think he used about a 1.096 as a starter for the yeast. Others may have experience though

I am planning on doing a similar "heavy" brew, with the 3787 yeast.

Here is the link to the BYO article on brewing a REALLY BIG beer.

http://***********/feature/1556.html

I found it very enlightening, and have started planning for one of these monster beers.

Good luck

Back