Flat beer again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENDJOSEPH

Reaction score
My pass three batches have been flat. I am using C-brite as a cleaner and Cooper drops for priming. I can not firgure out what I am doing wrong.

I am triple rinsing my bottles to make sure they don't have any C-brite in them. I am wondering if it is the Cooper drops?

The beer is finishing at about 7% so I know the yeast is working.

Anyone have any idea's on what is happening?

I have no experience with the drops, but what you'll hear on this site is to prime with DME or dextrose for a much more consistent carbonation. 3/4 of a cup of dextrose is a good baseline. How long are you waiting for carbonation? Good seals on your caps?

I use 3/4 cup of priming sugar and stir. Seems to work well. I had that problem when i used flip top bottles. That Sucks..

I have been waiting two weeks for my 12 oz bottles. My caps are brand new. I will try the corn sugar with my next batch.

BENDJOSEPH said:
My pass three batches have been flat. I am using C-brite as a cleaner and Cooper drops for priming. I can not firgure out what I am doing wrong.

I am triple rinsing my bottles to make sure they don't have any C-brite in them. I am wondering if it is the Cooper drops?

The beer is finishing at about 7% so I know the yeast is working.

Anyone have any idea's on what is happening?
I don't know if you use a secondary, but another thing you can do is rack off the primary, as you will get more yeast, and stronger yeast into your bottles that way.

Two weeks is not very long. Some of my beers have taken three or four weeks to become carbonated.

Also are you leaving them in a warm enough climate? They will carbonate a lot faster at 70-75 than at lower temps. For my last batch, it is taking for ever because it is in my 60f basement. Is taking about double the time it takes in my 75f kitchen.

I use carb drops ( not Coopers ) and get nice carbonation in about 2 to 3 weeks. Keep them in a warm place, and swirl them to keep the sediment in suspension and leave for another week.

The type I use require me to use 3 - 4 pills to get good carbonation. IIRC Coopers drops are one per bottle?

can you tell if the carb drops dissolved? or are they still solid in each bottle?

if they dissolved the beer is flat, it sounds like your caps aren't sealed.

Back