IPA with US-05 at 62 F? is that OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPhad

Reaction score
OK - My first beer after an 8 year hiatus (life happens)

I did an extract IPA but and used US-05 yeast, it started right up after a few hours and at that 40 hour mark has a pretty active fermentation.

My only concern is that I am too cool at 62F (this is outside temp in my basement). I chose this spot since it's always same temp, where rest of house may vary from 62-68 depending on time of day.

Thoughts? Should I move it upstairs where it may be warmer?

Thanks - and this board is great wish I had found it when I first tried doing this 10 years ago.

62 is actually pretty perfect. I've heard that US-05 does better at cooler temps and will produce cleaner flavors.

I wish I had a way of keeping my beers that cool during fermentation. I'm stuck with using cold packs and a water bath to control temps.

Yea this is a good question for us guys that are just starting. My comment/question would be why should he worry if he is seeing active fermintation. Will the yeast do something different at 68-70 vs 62??? Will this(fermenting at 6-8 degrees cooler/warmer) lead to some off flavors later on? And how important is it to maintain a temperature during fermentation. Or does it matter as long as it stays within a certain range and there is no sudden increase/decrease.

62 air temp means the fermentation temp will be around 67+/-... perfect for US05. Leave it where it is for four weeks and bottle, you are good to go.

Yea this is a good question for us guys that are just starting. My comment/question would be why should he worry if he is seeing active fermintation. Will the yeast do something different at 68-70 vs 62??? Will this(fermenting at 6-8 degrees cooler/warmer) lead to some off flavors later on?

Yep... high temps can lead to some nasty off flavors. Here, this link may help...

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

62 internal temp is perfect, IMO.

67 is OK, too. US-05 is quite clean in that range, and you can actually easily use it down into the mid-high 50's without worrying too much.

Yea this is a good question for us guys that are just starting. My comment/question would be why should he worry if he is seeing active fermintation. Will the yeast do something different at 68-70 vs 62??? Will this(fermenting at 6-8 degrees cooler/warmer) lead to some off flavors later on?

You will see active fermentation even at 80+ degrees. Most yeast strains (aside from belgian strains) will start producing funky/ off-flavors if temps get much above 70-72. So if you have a way of keeping a cool and consistent temp, then you're in really good shape.

Yep... high temps can lead to some nasty off flavors. Here, this link may help...

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

And, the inverse; low temperatures can result in stalled fermentation (the yeast go into hybernation) then rouse back up when you rack to the bottling bucket and chew through the bottling solution PLUS the remaining sugars in the wort, overpressurizing the bottles and leading to...

And, the inverse; low temperatures can result in stalled fermentation (the yeast go into hybernation) then rouse back up when you rack to the bottling bucket and chew through the bottling solution PLUS the remaining sugars in the wort, overpressurizing the bottles and leading to...

Low temperatures aren't so much the problem (up to a point) so much as rapid drops in temperature.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like I'll be fine if I keep at constant 62 (external) temp until fermentation ends, I then plan to keep it in primary for at least 2-3 more weeks at around 58-60 (yes it's cold in northern Illinois) before bottling.

Back