kegging pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
Another Question from the newbie. I've kegged my first batch, purged keg prior to racking from secondary, purged it 3 more times after capping and pressurizing and let sit at 30 psi 12 hours overnight in the fridge (which I'm having difficulty getting the temp above 40. Yes already on the lowest setting). Anyway decreased psi to 10 today and have been agitating a little every 3-4 hours today. My question is can I continue to go this route until its carbonated and then serve at this pressure also? I have a picnic tap. (Not allowed to drill the faucet into the side of the fridge for some reason. I'm working on getting a beer fridge).

Also what is meant by storage pressure. I understand its 30psi, but can't I leave it at serving pressure so not to have to adjust the pressure all the time? What happens if I do.

Do some more reading on kegging, everything you asked has been covered.

However...depending on how you setup your system you may or may not have to adjust the psi down when serving, and up to maintain carbonation after a drinking session.

Ideally you balance the system, so your tap lines are long enough to lower the psi for carbonation so its a good serving psi out of the tap handle/faucet.

For example, I set my psi at about 12-14 psi, and then use 8feet of picnic tap line. That gives me a nice pour with no adjusting of pressure.

I also just set it at 14psi and wait 10 days. I don't rapidly force carb or shake my kegs. Typically I keg at 3-4 weeks after brew day, and many beers still need to age a little, so 10-14 days to carb helps get the green out.

Well I did some more reading, before and after the post. And after continuous pressure at 30 psi overnight, 10psi with gentle agitation every 4 hours today I pulled my first true pint after work today of my first kegged homebrew tonight, and a 2nd, and a third. Excellent, nice head great taste and surprisingly not green. Can only get better from here eh?
What I've learned...there is as many ways to homebrew as there is homebrewers.

On TAP
Hardtail Pale Ale
6.13%
Not available in Alabama

What I've learned...there is as many ways to homebrew as there is homebrewers.

You got that right! But there also the generally accepted way of doing things
according to the collective wisdom of the people that haunt and run this site.

I find one of the most enjoyable things about homebrewing is experimentation!

That's how I figured out that doing thing the generally excepted way didn't allow the amount of carbonation that I perfer.

Latest posts

Back