a couple quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Well I am still reading John Palmers brewing handbook and It is quite good. I have a couple of quick questions though.

The first one is regarding filtering. I do not see this mentioned in the malt extract section of the book. Do you just pour the hops into the frementer and leave them there? How do you filter your beer if need be.

The second is OG and FG. What is the difference between the two and how are they used in regards to making a beer?

OG: Original Gravity
FG: Final Gravity
Used for estimating the alcoholic content of the beer.

As far as filtering, I use hop pellets and just try not the get too much in the fermenter when I transfer it to primary from the brew pot. Some people don't worry about it at all because the stuff at the bottom of the pot have chilling has valuable nutrients for the yeast.

Few homebrews filter their finished homebrew- if you leave it in the fermenter for a while, all the "gunk" settles to the bottom and it's left behind when you rack it. Some of us used sanitized strainers to strain out some of the hops and break material (I do) from the wort, but it's not at all necessary.

The OG is not all that critical for extract brewers- you have a "set" amount of sugars in the wort from the extract and so it's not that crucial. The FG IS important, though- it tells you when your beer is done!

Answers:

1) By filtering I am guessing you are talking about removing hop particles, etc... from the boiled wort. There are a few methods. You can pour the wort through a strainer when transferring to the fermenter. Depending on the size of the strainer holes and the type of hops you are using this will work OK. Pellet hops will break up and might get passed into the fermenter, they will settle out.

You could also use a paint strainer wrapped around your siphon to filter out the particles.

OG: (Original Gravity) The gravity of the wort prior to fermentation starting.

FG: (Final Gravity) The finishing gravity after fermentation is complete.

Both have several uses.

1) With OG and FG values you can figure out your ABV (Alcohol by Volume)
2) OG is important with extract, but more so with all grain brewing. Higher OG beers will require more yeast to start fermentation (I.E. making a yeast starter will be required/vice a recommendation).
3) FG is important for determining when fermentation is done and also in regards to bottling. Beers that have an un-expected FG will not be safe to bottle.

Just the basics in my post. More information here.

I've never filtered a beer. I'd like to "polish" some wine, but for beer, It's basically not necessary. Use the 1,2,3 method, or just combine the 1 and 2. I don't secondary beer much. Just 2 or 3 weeks in the primary, then bottle. You'll need to pour your home brew into a glass for maximum enjoyment. Be careful, and leave the sediment in the bottle. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

OG & FG..see above

Filtering..WTF? Try to keep the hops in the boil kettle out of your fermenter, but filtering is something I havent found a need for YET!! I let my beers set in the keg and they clear out lots. Just be patient, they clear.

Sean

With a high flocculating yeast, about 3 weeks in the primary, and the use of finning agents, you'd be surprised at how clear your beer can be. ;)

Back