German Munich and Vienna..english IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So I am trying to formulate my own all-grain recipes. Right now and english IPA. I am curious as to what kind of flavors does german Munich give when used? Same with vienna.

I know with english IPA it is important to use english malts..which I will start with english maris otter. i was considering using a lil bit of german munich for a slightly diff complexity along with two types of crystal malts.

any ideas and feedback on this would be nice. Thanks:rockin:

brewguy82 said:
So I am trying to formulate my own all-grain recipes. Right now and english IPA. I am curious as to what kind of flavors does german Munich give when used? Same with vienna.

I know with english IPA it is important to use english malts..which I will start with english maris otter. i was considering using a lil bit of german munich for a slightly diff complexity along with two types of crystal malts.

any ideas and feedback on this would be nice. Thanks:rockin:

Harpoon uses 2 row, victory and munich in their ipa, but no crystal but its not an english ipa. Im sure there are countless others.

The last IPA I brewed had just 2-row, munich, and vienna, and it came out damn tasty. I don't think you'd even need any crystal, just mash a little higher and use a nice english yeast that is going to leave a little behind and give off some tasty esters. If I remember right I used about 0.5lb of each the munich and vienna.

Both munich and vienna give off some toasty/bready flavors, and if I remember right munich is a little stronger than the vienna. However, its been a bit since I brewed that, so I would double check!

nice thanks..I appreciate the input. I was thinking of just using wyeast1056 for a clean fermentation without any esters in it. Plus that way I can just wash the yeast after and keep some to use in other batches of ales.

Back