Yeast Flocculation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
I checked on my beer for the first time today after about 5.5 days. I think everything is progressing nicely. My gravity came down to 1.011 from 1.041. I'm using S0-4 yeast. Right now it appears to be gathering in small pea sized clumps, maybe a couple dozen on the surface as well as a slight film. That is normal right? Will they eventually clump more and settle? Also, do you think my final gravity will come down anymore?

Dan

Yep, they like to clump up as they process. The film is either kreusen or just C02 bubbles (both are normal). Eventually that film on top will fall to the bottom and completely clump up. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension allowing you to carbonate bottles.

I am assuming you did and extract batch. Your gravity might be close to done, but it should tell you your target gravity on the kit or recipe you followed.

-Dan2

Yes full extract recipe. The target was 1.007-1.011. I was just hoping it would drop a little more and I could squeeze some more alcohol out of it...haha
:tank:

Yes full extract recipe. The target was 1.007-1.011. I was just hoping it would drop a little more and I could squeeze some more alcohol out of it...haha
:tank:

Haha, I understand. the rule of thumb here is to take gravity readings every day when you think it is nearing completion. Once it stabilizes for 3 days in a row, it is either done or stuck (depending on whether your stabilized readings fit the target range).

If it does stop there you can gently shake/swirl/stir (keep sanitation in mind) the beer to try and kickstart the yeast again.

You can also raise the fermentation temps a wee bit to get the yeast going again.

Either way I would recommend you leave it in the primary for 3 weeks. The yeast will continue to work by cleaning up their own byproducts which further clarifies your beer as well as prevents off flavors.

So update. The beer has definitely reached its final gravity. It is day 10 but i'm going to keep it in primary for at least another 4 days (the recipe calls for only 10). It looks like some hops and yeast are floating on top and there is also a good deal of yeast in suspension. I'm wondering if it will clear more in the next 4 days than the picture shows or if I'll have to use some additives if I want it to clear more.

Here is my fermenter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53354921@N07/4927933097/

Here is the sample
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53354921@N07/4927933259/

As you can see it is a little hazy. Should there be that much gunk (hops and maybe yeast) floating on top?

Looks fine. Another week or two, especially if you can cool it down, will clear it up a lot.

Latest posts

Back