dubbel with wlp530 day 7 1.030?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
I'm on my first belgian trip. All grain dubbel recipe. I aerated for about 5 minutes until the amount of foam made me cut it early (air pump w/hepa). I pitched a 2L starter of wlp530 abbey ale yeast that was in date. I pitched and started fermentation at 64 degrees. I used a 6 gallon better bottle and didn't quite have the headspace I would've liked so I used a blow off hose. It fermented like mad nuts for about 5 days and on the second day i started ramping up the temp. By day 7 it was at 70. I took a gravity reading on day 7 and it's only at 1.030 (from about 1.076). It's still bubbling a bit (I replaced the blow off hose with an airlock). I'm wondering if I should add some more candi syrup (since I have some) or wait it out. I'm all for waiting but if it is stuck I don't want to miss my chance at having it finish lower. Any experience or ideas?

I'm such a trigger finger poster. I checked more closely and it's still actively fermenting - it's just so pale in comparison to the initial stages. I'm ridin' it out. Still, when is it too late to add more sugar to entice further attenuation?

Adding simple sugar isn't going to entice further fermentation. It anything, it will further stall fermentation as the yeast will ferment the simple sugar and then not want to go back to fermenting maltose.

What was your mash temp?

Back