Regulators ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
Is there a big different between the el cheapo one and the 40 more ones?
I am differently getting a dual, but is it worth the extra cash for the nicer one?

I've seen a lot of stories about people trying to go cheap and having problems...I bought the micromatic dual primary kit and never looked back.

I can tear down the entire thing if anything breaks and I like being able to make adjustments easily without another tool. When I was looking at regulators I felt the extra money was worth it, and for me it was.

meh, i dont really agree with the above, but everyone has different tastes...

i have about 8 cheap regulators ($32 harbor freight ones, or ebay) and they all work just fine. there is no reason that the 3 components inside them wont last just as long as the same 3 components in a $80 regulator. and if you abuse either cheap or expensive ones, they will both break just the same.

the main things that expensive ones have that cheaper ones may not are nicer gauges or adjustment handles (cheap ones often have poorly labled gauges and an adjustment screw instead of an actual handle). nice regulators also have a cage around the gauges for protection. its up to you what you want to pay for though.

Having to adjust with a screwdriver sucks. So I want to steal a pint from my keg that is force carbing @ 20psi, I have to find a screwdriver to roll it back to serving pressure, pour the pint, then use the screwdriver to get it back up to 20psi.

I'll probably end up attaching a ghetto knob to it but it's a pain so far.

Latest posts

Back