Best instant temperature reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What does everyone use to get a quick instant temp read?
I currently use a dial on my HLT and floating thermometers to measure temps but would love to know about what everybody else uses for a quick temp read. Thanks.

I use a digital probe thermometer in my BK and I also have a digital instant-read thermometer (a cheap thermapen knock off) to take wort temp readings and other things I need temperature measurements of

I never trust electronics, so I usually use two digital instant read thermometers in my mash. Usually they wind up equalizing to the same temp: but initially, I tend to average between them.

i have several temp measuring devices, but for a spot check reading IR non-contact thermometer is invaluable.

I use a Thermapen. It is a completely awesome thermometer and very accurate.
The price is usually the sticking point with people, but I went through a good $60 worth of thermometers for brewing before I finally got one.

No contact infrared for most things and a sanitized glass/alcohol thermometer for when I need to know how it's going under the surface.

Got the CDN, works great. I also found a Thermoworks Infrared thermometer on ebay for just over 10 bucks but is totally inaccurate! I thought because it was the makers of the thermapen i've been hearing so much about it would be a great buy but disappointed. Oh well at least I didn't pay thermapen prices.

Back