Questions on my first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I got my first brew started the other day and am really excited.

I did the boil and started the fermenting on Thursday evening. The airlock has stopped bubbling already (It's now monday afternoon). Does this seem right? This means fermentation is done, correct?

I don't have a secondary fermenter, but was told that this is ok, at least for a first attempt at brewing. So tonight, I'm gonna add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket, siphon the brew into it, and bottle. Sound good? Is this too soon?

I'll keep the bottles in the same closet that I kept the fermenter in, maybe in a plastic container of some sort incase some explode.

Am I leaving anything out that's important, aside from the givens such as sanitizing everything in sight before I start.

I'm really just trying to make sure I'm on the right path here.
Thanks for any help.

i'd let it sit in the primary for 7 days, and then check the SG. if it's .005 higher than the target FG, i'd wait a tad longer. it's usually done by 7 days though.

I drive a 99 TJ (Wrangler) Couple of inches of lift, some slightly bigger tires, and some smaller stuff like K.C. Daylighters.

Back on topic (pardon me, Jeepophiles) - I have a plastic fermenter and there is nothing at all wrong with leaving it in there for two weeks.

If you ultimately go to a secondary, then get glass (the rule quoted to me is, don't rack into plastic) but don't worry overmuch about a secondary yet. I have been at this a year now and still don't have one. Each time I think about buying one, my HBS guy talks me out of it. While I question his business sense, he has a point - if it ain't broken, don't fix it. He advises that if I am happy with the taste and clarity of what I am making, stay with it.

I am an extract brewer and seldom use anything but barley. I made a batch of rice/barley based raspberry beer that could have been clearer, and next time I do that (next fall, probably) I will get a secondary. All grain brewers might have a greater need for a secondary to maximize clarity.

Back