LME not dissolved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonJ15

Reaction score
Hello, last night I brewed my third batch which is an american honey pale ale extract kit. I added the LME and Honey at flame out. After cooling the wort I took a hydrometer reading and only got 1.020, and the recipe said it should be around 1.050 so I knew something went wrong. After transferring the wort to my 6.5 gallon glass carboy, i found about an inch thick layer of honey and LME on the bottom of my brew kettle.

I decided to take a spoon and scrape everything from the bottom and add it to my carboy. I then shook it for several minutes trying to mix it in the best I could. Afterwards I took another reading, and this time I got 1.048, just under the expected starting gravity. I then pitched the starter, and today when I got up it was fermenting vigorously.

Do you think everything will turn out as expected, or will there be any issues with adding the un-dissolved LME and honey directly to the carboy?

You'll be fine. Millions of gallons of mead have been made starting with a layer of glop on the bottom of the fermenter. Your active fermentation will stir it up very well.

Back