2 litre sparkling juice bottles? usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a large quantity of cider that needs to be bottled but I don't have access to bottles just now.

I would prefer to bottle asap as im going to be busy. I was wondering if I could buy some cheap 2 litre cola and empty the cola out, sterilise then bottle.

Just wondering if its possible to prime using these bottles or are they to weak?

I put 3 sugar cubes (like they use for coffee) into each 2l bottle as priming sugar. They carb up just right.

You will need to check them periodically and crack the lids open slightly to let the pressure out or they'll blow.

How busy are you going to be? Only reason why I ask is because a plastic bottle will hold a lot of pressure and expand as it builds up. It will be noticeable if you notice them. Or store them cold once you get carb level you like and slow fermentation down.

Plastic soda bottles can take more pressure than a champagne bottle, you will be fine as long as you add the right amount of sugar.

Back