Cans suspended yeast and hops raise SG value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I've been ignoring my swartzbier in the fermenter for a few weeks now. I decided to check the SG since I did use expired saflager yeast and I wanted to make sure it was finished fermenting as I had heard lagers can take a long time.

The sample I took to measure I took from the tap near the bottom of the fermenter (coopers fermenter) had quite a bit of hop stuff and yeast trub in it. Can these extra bits give me a falsely high SG reading? If so I'll use the wine thief and take some from the top.

A second question if I may: I put the hop pellets directly in the wort and they're supended in there. I'm worried they'll end up in the bottles. Was I supposed to put the hop pellets in a bag before chucking it in the wort or will they just settle out (once the wind stops beating the boat around) and become part of the krausen at the bottom of the fermenter?

Thanks!
BoB

Back