Programs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Apart from making beer one of my hobbies is programing applications. I was thinking of alcohol calculations and any possible utilities that can be usefull.

I have made applications for printers and surfing but with beer it would be a combination of two hobbies so if anyone has ideas let me know. I have plenty of space where I get my sites hosted.

Strange hobby you may say but more satisfying than golf. They will be available no strings thats provided the idea is not to complicated.

Thats how I got involved in the printer application someone said they refilled a Canon printer and lost their monitor so one monitor coming up.

I am thinking of said alcohol calculator but there could be other calculations that a computer does so much better.

just to let you guys know that not all 65 year olds are computer illiterate. I would go on facebook if my face looked like a 40 year old. Then again maybe I could borrow one :) any offers?

Terry

What do you mean by "alcohol calculations"?

I have a spread sheet that lists the results of your OG minus your FG and calculates the ABW and ABV...is that what you mean?

All I do is look up the number and it gives me the ABW/ABV right there. No calculations required.

It's available to anyone...just email me for a copy.

[email protected]

Thanks for links, I am principly after something for myself I will have a look at your surgestions and see if that does the job. I definatly do not want to re invent the wheel.

To start from scratch is definitely to reinvent the wheel. BeerSmith is proprietary, so I doubt you'll get your hands on the code. One of the BeerSmith guys frequents the forum - perhaps he'll chime in with some help.

QBrew might be a good starting point, but I always hate reading other people's code.

This Qbrew program looks good. I will see what it does.

Thing's I'd like to see in qbrew are water volume calculations and mash temp adjustments (if that's what it's called).

Could you explain what you mean about water volumes and mash temperature
adjustments and the context its needed in.

I am not into recipe brewing yet but I learn fast. Calculating one factor against another is easy if I know the connection

This Qbrew program looks good. I will see what it does.

Could you explain what you mean about water volumes and mash temperature
adjustments and the context its needed in.

I am not into recipe brewing yet but I learn fast. Calculating one factor against another is easy if I know the connection

Water Volumes - Boil off rate, amount of water needed per how much grain I'm using and to ensure I end up with 5 gallons.

Mash temp adjustments: I have xlbs of grain at Xtemp and would like to add water at ?temp and ?volume to archive a mash of Xtemp.
Also, that if I already have a mash temp of X and would like to raise it, how much volume of water at what temp do I need to add to raise it that much.

Want attention NO I would not want more emails than I get. Since joining this forum I am changing 20 year old habits.

Water Volumes - Boil off rate, amount of water needed per how much grain I'm using and to ensure I end up with 5 gallons.

Mash temp adjustments: I have xlbs of grain at Xtemp and would like to add water at ?temp and ?volume to archive a mash of Xtemp.
Also, that if I already have a mash temp of X and would like to raise it, how much volume of water at what temp do I need to add to raise it that much.

Ah! some factors. I will ponder on it. I will need the specific heat of "Mash" it may be neccessary to do some experiments to work out things like latent heat of the mash etc. I have not done that for 40 years. Still the internet will spill its knowledge.

I am about to release another program so bear with me.

In the mean time I downloaded that Qbrew program. The recipe's and ingrediants appear very interesting.

After visiting this forum and reading the posts I realise I shall not change the world. I do not know enough about the finer aspects of brewing and even though I have been making and drinking the stuff I do not get involved with mashing and low level attempts to produce the amber liquid.

I will think about the one aspect that was put forward.

Actually I could see that added water temperature should be at near zero or near boiling to have a significant effect without adding to much liquid to the mash. I have never mashed so I cannot perceive the actual concept.

I downloaded Qbrew and if Brewsmith is actually considered better then my mouse trap would be somewhat inferior.

However if there are things that are not addressed I am prepared to look into it.

I cannot believe I brewed for so long (20 years) and never really delved into the finer points. I guess my results satisfied my needs.

The more I read the posts on this and other forums the more humble I feel. Don't think I will stop posting though, you will not be that fortunate.

Live well and long

Terry

I am using an Apple computer (I am a multimedia designer) and I dont want to run windows on my mac. I searched and found a killer little app for calculations on Apple, and Its FREE!! no really legally free.

The name of the software is "Home Brew Formulator" you can get it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28731

it does all of your calculations for you including multiple mash infusions. the program probably doesnt do as much as beersmith or some of the others and probably isnt as user friendly, but it works pretty darn good.

Is there a forum that has a collection of software descriptions including pros and cons??
if not there should be..

-DIG

If all you're looking for is attenuation and ABV calculation, creating a standalone app is a bit over-the-top.

No matter how hard-core geek you are, that is certainly over the top. IMO, spending $20 for BeerSmith > a lot of hours of work to program something that you can already purchase at such a reasonable price.

No matter how hard-core geek you are, that is certainly over the top. IMO, spending $20 for BeerSmith > a lot of hours of work to program something that you can already purchase at such a reasonable price.

unless of coarse you get satisfaction from doing so.

Hmmm...we can all buy beers at semi-reasonable prices too ;)

Back