Christmas ale recipe - do I have to age long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofza

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a Saranac Wassail clone adding some other spices as well. I was wondering if it's something that I'd have to age longer than the normal 3 week period after bottling and/or kegging?

I was going to add orange zest at the end of the boil, but all other ingredients will be added at bottling/kegging time after steeping in vodka for about a week (I still haven't decided on the amounts though - you can ignore the amounts below).

Anyone have any thoughts on how long I should age it? Obviously I'd want it by Christmas (gonna be close to begin with), or at the very least consume it over the winter months.

Oh yeah, other suggestions/critiques on the recipe would be appreciated too!

Thanks guys!

Code:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)           Grain        90.91 %       
8.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)     Grain        4.55 %        
8.0 oz        Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                   Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         14.7 IBU      
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (60 min)    Hops         16.3 IBU      
0.11 oz       Cinnamon Stick (Bottling 5.0 min)         Misc                       
0.83 oz       Coriander Seed (Bottling 5.0 min)         Misc                       
0.83 oz       Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)         Misc                       
1.00 oz       Allspice (Bottling 5.0 min)               Misc                       
1.00 oz       Nutmeg (Bottling 5.0 min)                 Misc                       

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 3.44 gal of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F

That's neither a huge nor a terribly hoppy beer. If you brewed this weekend, it might be good for Christmas. As you mentioned, though, you are pushing it. It certainly will be good before the snow thaws.

TL

You certainly wouldn't HAVE to age it for an extended period of time, but it would probably taste better with a couple months of aging. I brewed up my holiday ale back in September.

Definitely drinkable, but I'd maximize your time. Maybe 1 week primary, 8-9 days secondary, Then get 2 weeks in bottles. Should be plenty fine, if not super awesome.

My recipe had a spice pack with clove in it. I added the pack in the primary. It's been in the bottle for a week or so and it has a strong clove favor. I forgot i hate clove. I'm hoping it will mellow out in a few weeks.

I started my own Christmas brew last week. On the advice from the gent at my LHBS, I drastically cut back on the spices. He said that the stronger the spices - the longer the wait for a "warm, mellow" beer. (vs. "ohmygod you got beer on my cinnamon stick!")

Next year, I'm starting earlier!:D

I'd go lightly with the spices at bottling time. Maybe put in half and give it a taste. Six weeks isn't much for a heavily spiced ale.

Back