Blackberry Vanilla Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
So this is another possible recipe that i would like some help on. Its for a 1 Gallon batch:

2lbs Raw Wildflower Honey
8oz Blackberries
1 split vanilla bean
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1-2 tsp Nutrient
1/4 Packet Premier Cuvee

Crush fruit w/ pectic enzyme let sit for 2 days ad honey and water
Primary 20 days
filter through tea strainer into primary to get as muhc liquid as possible
secondary 20 days
tertiary until clear

Im aiming for a dry and possibly carbonated (if i add some priming sugar, 1tbs)
Has anyone done this/ think it will have a little tartness while also melding the vanilla?

Thanks, i did see your thread while i was looking around on blackberry melomels. How is it? looks great
I was thinking about doing the vanilla in the primary then when cleaning out the old jug, grab the bean and put it into the secondary, and same for the tertiary, is there any benefit to doing it in just the secondary and tertiary? Yeah i was thinking about using some Whisky soaked oak, or i would set aside some of the JD Oak mixture and put about 1/4 of a vanilla bean in just to flavor everything and make an extract with the oak. I would add the oak to the clear product and bulk age about a month then bottle with a piece of oak in each bottle.

all in all sounds pretty good. mine turned out delicious and its not even aged yet. i opened 2 so far and have decided that i'm not touching it again for at least 3 more months. it has a great color, amazing undertones, and when things start to blend and blossom after the aging i'm fairly sure its going to be the best thing i've ever tasted in my life!

i'm not sure how much effect it had on the mead, but think about adding a few bags of blackberry tea. its cheap and cant hurt!

the thing about the vanilla, though. i added it to primary and tasted while i racked. could taste no vanilla. then i added a second new bean to the secondary. no vanilla taste. then i racked to a tertiary and added 2 vanilla beans. all kinds of vanilla goodness now! and yes, i did it right by scraping and splitting and everything. so my suggestion is add it after things have settled down a bit and it'll turn out great.

Yeah i used 1 bean per gallon in a vanilla sarsparilla Mead im am doing now, i havent tasted in a couple weeks which i will probably do tonight, but when i racked it it has some great vanilla undertones.

And on the teas, i have definitely contimplated using that, My general formula is the mead has to have at least 3 flavors, The Honey itself is the first the other two can be a fruit, spice, herb and or Oak. i'll certainly think about using the tea in it. My family has a blueberry area with about 6 different varieties which i plan on picking fresh when they come in and making a blueberry Cinnamon (maybe Brown sugar) Mead immitating one of my mothers best desserts Blueberry Crisp, but that wont be untill Late June, early July at best.

Now i just picked up a jar of Blackberry Preserves from Trader Joe's anyone have a suggestion on how much i should use for a good blackberry flavor instead of fresh berries? i have just over a pound. and i know to hit it with the pectic enzyme a couple days before

ok so this is turning out great. I think i will add a couple raspberries to intensify the flavor because its really vinous and not very blackberry-ee. im also still unsure on the vanilla i may just bite the bullet and do it or if it seems good after the raspberries i will keep it the way it is

So i added 6 Tart Cherries, from out tree to create a subtle tartness that i hope will compliment the one dimentional flavor im getting right now with the blackberry. The raspberries are still going in probably but pprobably about 12 or so, and the vanilla is still up in the air. but the primary is almost finished so in about 4-5 days they will be in the secondary and i can make my adjustments :D

So I just Racked 4 gallons of different meads and this one was good, very strange lee's probably from the pectic enzyme and the Jam. kinda like ****ing nasty snowflakes. the tart cherries were a good addition and i just added about 12 raspberries and will probably add more. very good atm.

Back