What makes star san go cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshtrayDinner

Reaction score
photo3cl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The glass on the left is star san I just mixed up.

On the right is star san I made about a week and a half ago. I used it only to sanitize one carboy.

What causes my star san solution to go cloudy? Is it the length of time I leave it, or the dirt and junk I expose it to?

I think this might be the cause of recent sanitation problems.

if I use tap water, my star san looks like the right side glass seconds after I mix it, if I use distilled or RO water it stays clear for weeks, check the ph to see if it is still effective, mine checks ok, i just clouds up with tap water.

It's the trademark effervescent action. That's how you know it's working :D.

I'm talking out of my ass....I have no idea.

Dissolved salts in the water will react with Star San and make it go cloudy. You shouldn't use cloudy Star San since hte pH will probably be too high. My tap water does the same thing to Star San. If you mix it with distilled or RO water you can keep it for weeks.

photo1jg.jpg

This is the same star san as the glass on the left in the original picture. I used it only to sanitize 50 bottles, my siphon, and a funnel.

Seems like my tap water is of an undetermined quality, and causes my star san to degrade quickly

I guess it's time for a PH meter, and some better water?
What is RO water for the record?

RO = Reverse Osmosis

I have very hard water that clouds Star San immediately. I use pH test strips and although its cloudy, it is still good.

Rather than mess around with tap water and cloudy sanitizer, I buy gallon jugs of distilled water and mix and store it in the jug. It lasts for months that way but I still check it with the pH papers before use.

RO = Reverse Osmosis

I have very hard water that clouds Star San immediately. I use pH test strips and although its cloudy, it is still good.

Rather than mess around with tap water and cloudy sanitizer, I buy gallon jugs of distilled water and mix and store it in the jug. It lasts for months that way but I still check it with the pH papers before use.

I do the same... Distilled water and it lasts for months. I maintain 2-3 gallons in a keg. once or twice a year I might just dump it and start fresh. Also add it to a spray bottle and spritz your equipment to sanitize. Helps it last a lot longer...

Someone on a another thread said to remember that just because it's cloudy doesn't mean it's gone bad, but when it does go bad, it will become cloudy. pH seems to be the best indicator of effectiveness.

Mine has gone somewhat cloudy in the past. I check the pH, and it's always been around 2.4-2.5, so I still use it. So far, no problems.

The Calcium and Magnesium in your tap water form an insoluble salt with the phosphate in the Star San. If you have hard water, your Star San will get cloudy so it's best to use distilled or RO water

Cheers,

Joe

The Calcium and Magnesium in your tap water form an insoluble salt with the phosphate in the Star San. If you have hard water, your Star San will get cloudy so it's best to use distilled or RO water

Cheers,

Joe

Does the cloudiness hurt anything or make StarSan less effective? I've always heard that as long as your pH is less than 3 it's still good to use.

My last two batches of Star San have started clear, then gone cloudy.

From the posts above, I guess my water has recently increased in hardness. That, or perhaps alkalinity--or a combination of the foregoing.

Distilled Water is my trick....

Lasts months with lots of re-use....

if I use tap water, my star san looks like the right side glass seconds after I mix it, if I use distilled or RO water it stays clear for weeks, check the ph to see if it is still effective, mine checks ok, i just clouds up with tap water.

THIS. Our well water is useless for mixing Star San. Has way to high calcium and iron content. I mix using RO water only = no issues. SS lasts at least four brew sessions.

Often see water hardness as the reason for cloudy Starsan. Mine goes cloudy with tap water with rated hardness of about 48mg/L (mainly calcium and magnesium with trace minerals). Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back