general scheme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikebeer

Reaction score
Just want to make sure I have the general scheme right:

Put fruit/juice in primary fermenter for about a week or until SG is 1.020-1.03 (not under airlock).

Then, siphon/filter to secondary fermenter and put under airlock. Keep it here for a month or more... until SG is 0.9-1.0?

Is this correct?

Basically, yes. Keep the primary covered with cheesecloth or muslin to keep out fruitflies, etc.

A month is not nearly long enough for your wine to be finished, though. It will keep throwing sediment, and you should rack every 30-60 days off of the lees. When it's done fermenting, and done throwing sediment, that's when you can stabilize, sweeten (if necessary) and bottle. I have 5 gallons of blackberry that I started on May 4 and I'm now oaking and aging. The key is not to rush it. I just opened one bottle of dandelion from this year, and it's good but really way to early. It should age 6 months to a year (after bottling) for best flavor.

A dry wine will finish in the ballpark of .990-.998 usually.

Lorena

Latest posts

Back