Bottle condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I tried the search function to answer this question, but it was too vague: What are the temperature parameters (high and low) for bottle conditioning. Is 60 too cool? Is 78 too hot?

If it's an ale yeast, 60 is just on the verge of being a bit too cold. It might still carb up ok, but take twice as long. 78 is pretty warm, but it might not hurt the taste of the beer. I'd try to keep it between 65-75 if possible. My motto is, if I'm comfortable, my ale is comfortable.

Yoop gave some good advice so I would go with that.

Getting any snow up on the mountain yet? I used to ski at Gore and Whiteface when I grew up in NY.

You guys suck... I sure do miss riding those places. I used to live one mile from Keystone; I sure do miss those many full moon sessions at Loveland Pass and Pali runs-- good times, good times. Too bad I haven't been able to hit Zuma yet...

Yooper is on the money, I know this because I just finished Palmers book. Page 13 says:

6. Store the bottles. Place the capped bottles out of the light in a warm (room temperature) environment (65-75 °F [18-24 °C]). The bottles will take about two weeks to carbonate. The bottles will have a thin layer of yeast on the bottom.

Do you bother if i borrow your topic a little?
(I've been borrowing some topics recently, but not in a impolite way, hehehe)

Say that i ferment and after that, bottle condition for two-three weeks in a good temperature. After that, i can take the beer to more higher temperatures without risking off-flavors in my beers?
I've to deal with high temperatures, but i've bought a thermostat to ferment the beer. The problem is that i will have a limited space to bottle condition.

Thanks.

Ommegang puts their beer in a 'warm cellar' which is at 75° F. You can go warmer for some stuff, but that is in general for short term carbonation and rapid aging. I cellar around mid to low 50's, as I don't have any control over my basement temps.

The problem, to have an idea, is that i'm dealing today with a temperature of 33°C (91,4°F) im my city today (real, real, real hot). The summer is beggining here in Brasil. So, warmer temperatures for me, is real hot. With little space for bottle conditioning in the frigde with thermostat that i will use, i've the doubt about the warmer temperatures affecting my beer after it've consumed almost 100% of the primming. So i'm expecting someone with more experience than me in these question explain a little for me.:D

Or i will have to figure out by myself.:(

I was going to post a new topic but found this one while searching and it seemed appropriate to the topic. Is aging in the keg (or bottle) the same as aging it in a secondary? In other words does it age and taste the same whether it spent 4 weeks in a secondary and 3 weeks kegged as it would if it spent 7 weeks kegged? Clear as mud I know.....

If it's an ale yeast, 60 is just on the verge of being a bit too cold. It might still carb up ok, but take twice as long. 78 is pretty warm, but it might not hurt the taste of the beer. I'd try to keep it between 65-75 if possible. My motto is, if I'm comfortable, my ale is comfortable.
thanks Yooper! What if 60 is all you have? they wont carb or it will just take a long time? what if you let them sit at 70 for 2-3 weeks then move them to 60 for storage? My beer closet if getting full and I need to move some stuff to the garage for storage. Looks like the temp down there is 61 deg average :(

Latest posts

Back