Is it too late to expect a harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
I planted 4 1st year "baby stick" rhizomes this year. I planted in mid May due to the late frosts we were having here in Ohio. Admittedly, I didn't take real good care of the plants and I tried growing them more horizontally to keep the height down so I don't expect much, especially for 1st year plants. Anyway, 3 the plants are about 8 feet tall (okay long) with more and more offshoots coming every week. They are getting fuller and fuller, but I still don't have any flowers. I was expecting a late September harvest, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen or not. Is there plenty of time or should I just say I was building the root system this year?
As an aside, 2 other guys in town have 1st year Cascades and have already harvested quite a few cups of cones.

I have a:
Chinook
Kent (Ohio?) Goldings
Williamette

Due to a "property line dispute", the neighbor killed my Sterling plant and the root was rotted the last time I checked it. Turns out, I was still 4 feet on my side of the property after she got it surveyed. My four year old calls her "The Fat Meanie" :) I guess I'll put something else in that spot next year as well as redo my structure to grow vertically.

I apologize for the usual 1st year hops post. I'm sure you guys are getting sick of them.

I wouldn't expect much of a harvest from your hops, but you still have the potential to get a few. My Fuggles grew three feet a couple weeks ago while I was on vacation and started popping out cones left and right. They are just over 10' tall now.

It seems like everyone has good luck with first year Cascades, I think they have steroids in them the way they grow. (Wish mine wouldn't have died).

I'm still getting new flowers on my cascade, but I live in central lower peninsula of Michigan. My flowers are small compared to some I've seen, but hopefully there will be enough to use for a batch.

Let me restate the out of the three plants I have, only one has flowers. The others are small to tiny, and as of yet, no flowers.

My first year Cascades look like they are dying. I guess I need to give them less water but do it more often. If I go a day without watering they droop and the leaves curl. If I water (about 1 gallon on each plant) every day, they turn brown. Then there are the bugs. I think I have had every species of bug come to my yard and taste my plants.

Master gardener, I am not.

Sorry, I just had to tell someone...

Back