Think yeast is dead, help me pick an alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So I brewed a honey kolsch on saturday afternoon, pitched about 7pm, after oxygenating thoroughly.

pitched washed Kolsch 2565...the last jar I had. I'm not confident it was still viable yeast...no starter...(yes, I know, I know).

So if its not doing anything tomorrow morning, new yeast is being added.

This is a 24 IBU, 1.055 OG, expected 1.010 FG. Hallertau and Saaz hops. 2-row, a little honey malt, and a little vienna malt.

On hand I have Windsor, Nottingham, Wyeast Wit yeast that I washed, some S-33, I think an S-05, T-58, and I think a sachet of Munton's generic yeast.

I know it won't be a kolsch without the right yeast, but of the above, what would you suggest? I can easily hold mid-60's fermentation temps.

Well, any high-attenuation, clean ale yeast would do it, but the Wit yeast would make the most interesting brew.

With my limited experience I'd add a clean ale yeast like notty. or the 05. But, I like the idea of the wit if I had more beer on hand to drink than I do.

cancel this. fermentation is underway when I got home from work. Just a long long lag phase.

Back