Small Problem Maybe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big-o-2

Reaction score
I have 3 carboys 5 - 6.5 gal, I just noticed that 2 have little cracks in the glass about half way down the side. The crack is only 2" long and it runs horizonal. I put some packing tape over the crack to make sure it does not leak or air get in some how. But the main thing is I am furmenting a Christmas ale in it. What should I do or do nothing just chance the ale?

David

You already did something by placing the tape over the crack. That was good. Now, just leave it alone, don't handle it rough and avoid any sudden temp changes and you should be OK. I'd be willing to risk it if it was me. I think the odds are in your favor.

I wouldn't risk using those again afterwards though. The cracks will obviously be a weak spot and if they're on the inside a potential bacteria harbour too.

Shame you got the cracks. I'd be well annoyed with getting them. What a waste! :mad:

Well she's bubbling good and I got 3 more carboys today for free, I had a vendor I work with said I could have his carboys he quit brewing last year. I will still need to find a 6.5 gal, pro's and con's of plastic tub fermentors?

Pro - don't have to use a funnel to pour in wort, can handle being hit by light, will not break if you drop it, comes with it's own carry handle

con - will get scratches which harbor bacteria, some people think it holds flavors and they get in other beers, don't get to watch your beer brew

I've got plastic bucket right now for and am pretty happy with it. I would like to someday get a carboy for my primary so I can watch my brew.

I used to have a 5gall Imperial white plastic carboy, but it went missing after moving a bunch of time while back in college. It had these handles where the plastic was pushed into the sides to make them. They were a pain to clean because sediment would form on where the plastic was pushed in. If that makes sense..? One thing to keep in mid is that when moving plastic carboys to take the airlock off and plug the hole with your sanitised finger etc or put a solid bung on. When you pick up a plastic carboy the flexiblity of the bottom will result in the carboy sucking in air when you lift it.

I'm trying out some plastic water bottles (5 gal blueish kind) they are a dif. plastic and I beleive they are more O2 resistant. (and less likely to pick up flavors) They also almost as see through as my blue glass carboys, so I can still see what's going on.

I've never noticed any flavor cross over as long as they were well washed with chlorine then sat full of water with baking soda in it for a few days.

I've only used plastic buckets, glass carboys are just too heavy. I bleach them out as needed.

I've never had any problems with plastic. The beer tastes great and sanitation - for far - has not been a problem.

And if flavor carried over, I haven't noticed it, nor would I mind. However, I am mostly settled on ales of various types, all of them pretty hoppy and strong tasting, so flavor carrying over would be no big deal anyway.

I am considering glass for a secondary. I will probably try it for my next batch.

Latest posts

Back