SG is stable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayfound

Reaction score
OK, so for my first batch, I let it ride in primary 20 days and then bottled (sg had been stable over a week).

Now, my 2nd batch is in the carboy, an all greain Belgian Dubbel (recipe from the Jamil Show). Started at 1073, and after 9 days was at 1012, where it remains today, 15 days into fermentation.

I ramped temp up in the 2nd week to 74F and have held it there for the last 4-5 days.

I want to cold-condition prior to bottling on this, so I am thinking of moving it to the fridge for the next week or 2 to clear up, then bottling and storing 3-4 weeks warm in bottles.

I've heard about the "3 week rule" allowing yeast to "clean up", and I know that 34F will drastically slow any yeast behavior.

Basically, my question is: is additional warm storage, IN THE CARBOY, going to do anything different than getting it cold crashed an into bottles to age?

Thanks

If it has been stable And your sample tasted fine then go ahead and cold crash for a few days and bottle it. There is no need to cold condition it for weeks IMO

There is no need to cold condition it for weeks IMO

That's more just timing... I put in the fridge last night, carboy has only dropped to 50F or so today, hopefully be chilled to fridge temps by this evening - but then I am out of town for work, so it will probably be a week before I get to bottle.

Since it's been at FG for 6 days,it should've cleaned up & settled out pretty good already. Providing it wasn't a low flocculation yeast.

Latest posts

Back