Soda keg brewing q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at using a soda keg for brewing operations. Can you brew directly in keg or do you still require the use of carboys?

Uhm, I suppose if there were a way to attach an air lock or something to that affect, but you certainly wouldn't want to pitch your yeast and seal it up, all that would do is carb your beer to like 3+ volumes and leave you with a hoppy malt soda. It sounds like you're on a budget (in which case you shouldn't be buying a keg), instead of carboys (which can be expensive) see if you can get your hands on some 5 gallon water containers (like the ones they use for office water dispensers). The rest, (air locks and rubber stoppers) are just a few bucks.

are you asking if you can brew or ferment in kegs?

there are lots of people on here who ferment in kegs. I wouldn't recomend fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg but 10 in a 15 would be fine. You could put the top on and use the gas port and a line to put your airlock/ blow off tube on.

Alright thanks guys. Ya not really on a budget but I do really want to use the kegs just do I can plumb them into my wet bar

Back