Session Oatmeal Stout Critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
I am hosting a "Low-Gravity Throwdown" for 4 of my brewing buddies, the parameters are to make the best 1.045 SG or lower beer you can. The beers will be "judged" by the wives and friends at a party about 5 weeks from now. I decided to play to my audience and make something that the other guys would not brew (I expect English Bitters, blonde ales and Scottish 60 to be my competition). I went with a NorthernBrewer.com all- grain brew kit recipe and changed the 1 lb of flaked oats to 1/2 lb flaked oats and 1/2 lb golden naked oats because I really like the nutty taste of this grain, and I want some nuance. Also, I am planning to add the dark grains with 15 min to go in a 60 min mash to decrease the intensity of harsh/burnt/astringent character, since the gravity is low I don't want the roast to overwhelm the beer. Anyway, if you have any feedback it would be great.

Thanks, Tim

Oatmeal Stout-Session
13-C Oatmeal Stout
Author: Tim
Date: 3/5/10

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 70.0%
Calories: 147.4 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.044 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 28.31 (22.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 4.04% (4.2% - 5.9%)
Bitterness: 21.0 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
6.75 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb Golden Naked Oats
0.5 lb Oat Flakes
0.5 lb Crystal 75
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt (late addition to mash-15 min)
0.5 lb Roast Barley (late addition to mash -15 min)
1.1 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.0 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Ooo. That sounds nice.

No, wait - it sounds bloody awful. Since you should learn a valuable lesson, ferment it according to plan, bottle it and send it all to me. Only I have the skills and experience needed to dispose of it safely and with all due respect to our environment.

:D

Bob

Ooo. That sounds nice.

No, wait - it sounds bloody awful. Since you should learn a valuable lesson, ferment it according to plan, bottle it and send it all to me. Only I have the skills and experience needed to dispose of it safely and with all due respect to our environment.

:D

Bob

Yes, Sir! Thanks for the endorsement and for putting me in my place ;)

If I were doing that contest, I'd have to do a Saison just for fun. It'd start out at 1.045... but it would finish about 1.000 :D

If I were doing that contest, I'd have to do a Saison just for fun. It'd start out at 1.045... but it would finish about 1.000 :D

I had considered a Saison, but none of the "judging panel" are Belgian fans...though a well made one might convert a few. Also, my basement is about 61f right now, and English style seems to fit that fermentation temp right now. I usually do my Belgians in the 70's (summer), as I don't have a controlled fermentation chest (yet). I will let you all know how this goes, I had wanted to do an "Iron Brewer" (mystery ingredient) but no one wanted to invest a brew day in a beer that might turn our crappy.

Latest posts

Back