Paulaner clone for SWMBO - extract or AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I promised SWMBO I would brew her some Paulaner clone.

Should I go the extract route or AG, and why?

Another, different issue is that she does not drink that much. The beer may sit for a while.
I can help there but, still, I am afraid it may lose some its character over time (see my other thread about slow drinking and style choices).

Which Paulaner beer? If it's the lager, you can go either way. Going AG would make it easier to keep the SRM down. Keep it cold and it will last a fair time.

Do you brew all grain? Either way, a recipe is really easy

Extract - Enough Wheat extract to get you around 1.050
All Grain - (5 gal) - 5lbs continental pils, 5lbs wheat malt

Hops - keep it below 15 IBUs. .75 to 1 oz of Hallertauer at 60 min is all you need depending on the AA%.

If All Grain, boil for 90 min (but still add hops at 60).

Yeast - I normally use Wyeast 3068, but I'm pretty sure there is a Paulaner strain out there? Maybe someone can chime in with that. If not, I chill to around 60F and let it free rise to my fermentation temperature of 64F.

Just bought some Paulaner Hefe yesterday. I like it, but would prefer a little more hops.
Really interested in seeing this thread develop.

I've made the Paluaner Hefe with both extract and all-grain. Both were great beers. As far as the aging....I've read on here the Hefes are best drank early. I dunno. The Paluaner clone (form BYO) all grain that I made back in Oct. taste better every week. I'm still drinking some. The first month or so it was OK...now awesome. Just personnel prefference I guess.

Just bought some Paulaner Hefe yesterday. I like it, but would prefer a little more hops.
Really interested in seeing this thread develop.

If you ever get a chance to have it fresh in Germany, it is pretty perfect as-is there... Man I miss fresh, cheap Paulaner!

I brewing a 10 gallon batch of my Bavarian Hefe this weekend:

10lbs Pale Wheat Malt
6lbs 2-row Pale
2lbs Munich Light
0.5lbs Flaked Wheat

2.0oz Hallertau 3.4% AA @ 60m

Going to ferment 5 gallons with washed 3068 and 5 gallons with 3638 to see what the difference is.

See EdWort's Bavarian Hefe in the recipe section under wheat beers.
I draining my second batch of it and its a dead ringer for Paulaner hefe I bought some and compared it myself.

Back