How would you classify this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
I originally intended to make an IPA based on a previously successful recipe. The first time around I used 40L Crystal and didn't see a whole lot from it in the beer so I upped to 50-60L English Crystal. The result of that is probably the darkest beer I have ever seen. It is black in the carboy and completely opaque.

Here is the recipe;

6LB Extra Light DME
1LB Amber DME (late extract addition @ 30min)
1LB 50-60L English Crystal (Steeped @150-153 for 30 min, added when water was cold)
2oz Centennial @ 60min
1oz Amarillo @ 10
1oz Amarillo @ Flameout
Safale US-05

It tastes amazing, even green it is very smooth and bitter but not harsh at all, but the malt flavor was quite apparent. (sampled when racking to secondary) All in all I am very pleased with the result but the color is so dark I don't think I can call it an IPA any longer.

CDA - Cascadian (as in Pacific Northwest, not the hop) Dark Ale Not in the style sheets yet, but probably in a couple years if the hop shortage lets up.

There is a local brew here (made by the Pizza Port / Lost Abbey boys) called Black Lie. It is a special brew made for the favored local pub "Liars Club." It is a black IPA.

Very strange the first time I had it but it is very much and IPA except it is black. It is an awesome beer.

Black Lie is categorized as an American Strong Ale, which is basically a catch-all for high alcohol American beers that don't fit another style. Defined by ratebeer as:

Not a style, per se, but the only logical category to incorporate the plethora of strong, stylistically vague beers coming from American micros these days. Some are related to English Strong Ales, but with more hop, while others are ultra-strong variants on the IPA theme. But no matter how varied their origins or characters might be, all are intense, potent, with generous quantities of hops and malt.

Latest posts

Back