Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moosehead Lager.

Tastes like what I would imagine moose piss tastes like.

Recent micros I've tried which are horrible:

Founders Red's Rye PA - most of the labels in my 6 pack were even upside down on the bottle!

Beer for Wildlife Rooster Lager

Shiner mesquite or bbq or some kind of grilling name

I dare any of you to try and finish a whole bottle of one of these!!

Steel Reserve hands down. (but still I'll partake on occasion to keep it real ;) )

Had a Smoke beer once, but can't remember the brewery. Naaasty!!

Kronenbourg 1664.

I cannot drink this swill and have no ideal how anyone can. Obviously a personal taste/palate thing, but just the thought makes me get that tingly feeling in my gullet.

Ugh.

Other than the usual cheap stuff you expect...Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Wow. What were they thinking? Kinda pissed I bought a sixer.

I would have to say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. No hop flavor, just bitter. I have had it fresh too. I have tried it many times for many years. I live in Northern California and it is everywhere. Most people I know agree. WAY overrated.

Guinness, at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland.

I figured I would get some flame without explanation. I am not an Irish Stout drinker, so not a fan of the brew to begin with, but can still tell quality. At the Storehouse, however, the beer tasted watered down. There was no character other than thickness and head. It was bland, and the only excuse I could come up with is that it was young. Even my wife, who loves Guinness, only had a third of her pint.

This goes for Guinness we got elsewhere in Ireland as well. Same watered down taste.

They say it tastes different in Ireland... they are right, it is worse.

The free Guinness at the factory WAS god awful. That's what you happens when all that matters is a great view, cute girls working at the bar and tourism. Anywhere else in Ireland the Guinness was heaven.

worst beer i've ever had was leinie's berry weiss. took one drink and spit it back out.

Leine's Berryweiss is completely atrocious. My friend and I tried it at a Market BBQ (restaurant) over by downtown MPLS about oh, fifteen years ago, and it was so bad, we looked at each other and grimaced and tried to send it back. The management refused to let us switch it up for a different beer. The waitress got us free dessert, kind lady that she was, ensuring a reasonable tip.

Neither he nor I has been to a Market BBQ since.

Berryweiss is like rancid jam.

Tsingtao - a Japanese Rice beer. Never, ever, will I drink that again. Worst tasting beer Ive had. I would rather stay sober than drink another one of those.

Bulgarian Shemensco (its in Cyrillic, so your guess is as good as mine)

I am choking them down right now for the bottles :eek:. They are so bad I am trading full cases of them to friends for two cases of empties.

I just moved and am trying to build up a pipeline and need bottles..... These are 1/2 liter brown strong bottles, but the beer - oh crap.....

I had a dragons milk at a local bar.. I had to literally chase each sip with soda to gag it down. I LOVE hoppy beers but this tasted infected. Was literally making me gag as a drank it. After 3/4 of a bottle my face and lips were literally numb. Several on here have sid how great it is so I have to assume I got a bad bottle but haven't had the nerve to try it again to fond out.

Wait....OP ordered BUFFALO SWEAT STOUT, and thought it would be good?

For some reason a great store in these parts stocks "Horse Piss" and "Old Leg Humper", the names don't exactly scream quality. lol

There however are two worst commercial beers for me...wait three.

Sam Adams' Black Berry Whitbier...it tastes like perfume and is equally soapy...blech.

Goose Island's 20th Anv. Bourbon Barrel Stout. That one actually gaged me. I like bourbon just fine, but in beer it always like they mixed in really salty butter.

And somebody's Chili Pepper beer. The one with the pepper in it. The beer tastes and smells pickled. Kinda takes away from the fun of it being spicy.

I visited the leinenkugel brewery earlier this summer because I was in the area and my friend wanted to go there. The tour was nice but I couldn't finish a single one of their beers at the tasting area. Too hard to pick which was the worst.

Iron City Beer is without a doubt the worst I've ever had. Tried one at a Pirate's Game one night while in town. I had a headache before I got to the end of it.

This breaks my heart! Are you speaking of River Horse Brewing Company in Lambertville, New Jersey? This is one of my favorite breweries.

No, they're still open- I went there last year, and they're pretty good, but not exceptional in my opinion. Maybe the complaint was pre-2007, when they changed ownership?

As for the thread topic, I don't see a point in knocking BMC- it is what it is, and while I don't choose it often, there's nothing about it that personally offends me.
The position of worst commercial beer I've had has been occupied for years now by Pete's Winter Ale. That little gem had a truckload of raspberry and nutmeg in it, in proportions apparently selected to maximize the involuntary wretching I experienced with the first sip.
As for disappointing beers, those at the Chelsea Brewery in Manhattan are the single most boring beers I've ever had. They should invent a style to categorize them: Beige Ale.

This goes back a few years, but
Billy Beer ranks as one of the worst. When poor college students use full cans for rifle targets, then you know it's bad.

Hop n gator. When high school kids beat you up for bringing it to a party.

Shiner Black Lager. You know how the fluid in a transmission smells when it's going bad. Well the folks in Shiner TX figured out how to get that smell in a bottle.

Beer30

comes in a can like this...
images

seriously?

and before this some one mentioned newcastle...

you guys really need expand your horizon on commercial beer.

Seriously!!!! How do I need to expand. I have tired many beers in my life many I didn't like but the only beer that I hate and can't stand is NewCastle. And I thought this was the point of the thread.

The after taste that you get off a new castle makes me sick.

I was in Taco Mac in Perimeter area of Atlanta couple weeks ago had one of the Warsteiners beers and it is now ranked at second to the worst beer on the planet.

Anyway if you get a moment can care to explain your comment as it doesn't makes sense unless this thread were about the best beer I ever had. :mug:

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

They snuck several into a variety pack. After trying the first one I had my first experience opening a beer bottle just to turn around and pour it down the drain. When I see it advertised I wonder if they are still trying to get rid of their first batch.

Someone mentioned SA Coastal Wheat. I second that. Disgusting. Induces the gag reflex the second you try to swallow it. I cant believe this beer passes their QA standards.

I like Boston Brewery but this beer is truly horrible. As said before, it tastes EXACTLY like dish water. I thought someone had tampered with my beer. I hate BMC but I can uderstand how it appeals to the mass market. I don't see how Coastal Wheat would appeal to anyone.

Recent micros I've tried which are horrible:

Founders Red's Rye PA - most of the labels in my 6 pack were even upside down on the bottle!
!

Dude, are you serious? Red's Rye is one of my all time favorites. I have a clone fermenting as I speak. Great brewery, too.

Back in the 90's I bought a sixer of generic beer in Lexington KY. White label, black lettering: BEER. It was 99 cents a sixer. Horrible sweet aftertaste.

Last night I had a Souther Tier Pumpking on tap. Ugh. Could barely finish it. Waaaay too heavy on ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. And I like pumpkin beers!

Last weekend I bought something called Stack. I think it was 12%. It's even worse than the Steel Reserve Extra. I'm a cheapskate - have to alternate my expensive beers with cheap ones, but never again will I drink a Stack.

I've had some beer at tastings that bragged about tasting like horse hair blanket - and it did. Can't recall the name. it was true to style - just not MY style.

Dude, are you serious? Red's Rye is one of my all time favorites. I have a clone fermenting as I speak. Great brewery, too.

Back in the 90's I bought a sixer of generic beer in Lexington KY. White label, black lettering: BEER. It was 99 cents a sixer. Horrible sweet aftertaste.

Last night I had a Souther Tier Pumpking on tap. Ugh. Could barely finish it. Waaaay too heavy on ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. And I like pumpkin beers!

Last weekend I bought something called Stack. I think it was 12%. It's even worse than the Steel Reserve Extra. I'm a cheapskate - have to alternate my expensive beers with cheap ones, but never again will I drink a Stack.

I've had some beer at tastings that bragged about tasting like horse hair blanket - and it did. Can't recall the name. it was true to style - just not MY style.

Yeah, to me it compares to blue cheese. Some people like me love it others say it stinks and tastes terrible. I like those stinky sour ales but at first I was saying to myself "What the hell???" but in time I now like them. I wonder if I had not been told that was what they should taste like would I have dumped it and never had it again.

I brewed a beer using a trappist yeast I am not familiar with and it came out nasty, I was sure something went wrong but I didn't get sick. When I drink it now I kind of like it, weird.

Saranac Caramel Porter...Couldn't finish one with two people, just a rancid awful gut wrenching experience. Sickly sweet.

Captain Morgan's Malt Beverage...Couldn't finish one with four people, overtly sweet and gross.

Most any american swill is awful, but if someone's buying :tank:

By far the worst beer I had in a long while was The Big O by O'so Brewing Company!!!
Sorry, but I was really excited to taste beer that is brewed differently, as they state as their mission. Different it was: as bland as the water from my faucet! On the label it says something about :"lasting impression", and it sure is true, I will never drink that again :drunk:

I'm dead serious! This stuff tasted like ass! My neighbor agreed. Maybe we just got a bad batch...

Back