New Way to Clean a Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clementine

Reaction score
Well no it isn't but it sure saved cleaning it:cross:

2011-12-11 13.31.52.jpg

My normal thing is to rack the beer off the mess rinse it out and fill it up with water to let is soak. I went to clean it this morning and found it complete destroyed. My only guess is that the ground water was at 50ish degrees the air temp was at 25 degrees when I did this and it dropped down to 16 last night. I think that it was a case of thermal shock with the temp difference of the water inside vs the air temp?

And no it did not freeze, I had the beer sitting in the keg next to the glass carboy and it did not get much below 40 degrees.

Clem

yeah i was swirling star san around in one of mine last night and dropped it on the floor. That sure was fun. I now will not pick it up like that and just swirl it around on the ground like a good boy.

where do you obtain such a magical artifact? and how much do they cost?

I have a couple from a lab I worked at, and picked up a couple more from another guy who worked in a lab via craigslist. Unless you have the right connections (and they've most likely been used for a long time and are no longer needed) these are hundreds of dollars.

i.e.
https://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=29110-904&inE=1&highlight=29110-904

That's only 5L, the ones I have are mostly 15L

My point was less to brag (okay kinda to brag :p) and more to say "glass scares me".

+1 to borosilicate. During my teen years I owned a few pieces of pyrex..ahem, "glassware".. and those things seemed damn near indestructable, especially considering the amount of clumsiness they induced. ANYway :D Something about a large, breakable piece of glass filled with precious liquid was always a little disconcerting to me as well.

I hope it receives a proper burial.

My point was less to brag (okay kinda to brag :p) and more to say "glass scares me".

Nice glass, funnily enough I just bought a better bottle for that "glass scares me" reason + I have two young boys I figured it was only a matter of time!

Having lived in Hawaii until 6 weeks ago I'm not familiar with the temperature change and the effects it can have, I've broken other things with temperature shock but that was canning jars that I cooled quickly and other things not just air temps changes. Has anyone else ever had that happen?

Clem

I'm thinking of selling a couple of my carboys and just keep a couple for mead. I've used buckets several times over the last few months and they do just fine.

Glad you showed this pictures. I left two of mine in the garden half full of oxiclean and the temp dropped a few degrees below freezing. Will make sure to not do that again.

Cheers to surplus labware for home brewing....

My lab was getting rid of a few of these with ported screwcaps that perfectly fit airlocks. I am now the proud owner of 2 - they make great big-batch primaries.

Regular price - $360 each.

263-Value-50L-Nalgene-LDPE-Carboy.JPG.jpg

Back