same bucket bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
can i use my ferment bucket (i used a primary for three weeks) as the bottling bucket? or do i need to pour it into another bucket? ideally id like to just add in the sugar into the primary fermenter

You definitely don't want to pour it into another bucket! You should gently siphon the beer from one container to another, as to not aerate the beer at all. No splashing, and put the siphon at the very bottom of the receiving vessel so it doesn't aerate on the way into the new vessel.

You probably don't want to just bottle from your primary, either. See all the crud at the bottom of the fermenter? It's called trub, and consist of spent yeast, hot break, cold break, products of fermentation, etc. If you add priming sugar to the fermenter, and stir it up, you'll stir up all that crap that you just waited for to fall out.

The ideal thing to do is to boil the priming sugar in some water, and then put into the bottom of a sanitized bottling bucket. Siphon the beer into this, "swirling" at the bottom so to mix the priming solution and beer. Then, using a bottling wand in the spigot, bottle the beer.

Back