MW Noble Trappist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tone091

Reaction score
I brewed a Noble Trappist Kit from MW last night and my OG was approx. 1.050, does that sound right? The temp of the wort at the time was probably around 80-90 degrees, is there an adjustment I need to make, or does the 1.050 sound right? Also, what is a target FG?

80-90 is really high for a standard gravity reading because most hydrometers are calibrated to read at 60F. So, for future brews you do want to at least let it get down to 70, or just do what I do and stick it in the fridge until it ts at 60. To answer your adjustment question, yes there is an adjustment you can make. Without the exact temperature that you had the wort at when you took your reading, it will be difficult to get it exact, but you can estimate your starting gravity using this: http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

A target FG is the estimated final gravity based on assumed yeast attenuation rates. Meaning, how complete is the yeast going to ferment the sugars in your wort. Most yeast manufacturers provide that information on their website for each strain of yeast. The folks at Midwest have estimated the final gravity for you in their kits based on the recipe and yeast strains used for their kit.

I brewed a Noble Trappist Kit from MW last night and my OG was approx. 1.050, does that sound right? The temp of the wort at the time was probably around 80-90 degrees, is there an adjustment I need to make, or does the 1.050 sound right? Also, what is a target FG?

All grain or extract? I just looked up their site, and I calculate the All-grain to be about 1.065/1.070, and the extract to be about 1.055.

There is a temp correction. For 84 F you add 3 points.

So I have an update/question. Like I said above, I brewed on the 28th and I still have a pretty active airlock, this is the longest I have had a airlock bubble. Has anyone else had their airlock for this recipe go this long? I have a ambient room temp of about 66-68 degrees.

So I have an update/question. Like I said above, I brewed on the 28th and I still have a pretty active airlock, this is the longest I have had a airlock bubble. Has anyone else had their airlock for this recipe go this long? I have a ambient room temp of about 66-68 degrees.

Yep! Just hang in there buddy!! :mug:

I've personally had active airlock activity go for well over a week... it just depends on the yeast. And always remember: Once it stops bubbling in the airlock, that doesn't mean it's done fermenting. Keep an eye on your Final Gravity readings to tell you if your yeast has done it's job.

Back