Brewing and drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
So for the first time in my life, I've currently drinking some of my own beer while I brew another batch. This is pretty damn exciting for me.

:mug:

drinking too much while brewing, is dangerous. i say feel free to have a couple beers -- and some moderation and responsibility -- while brewing.

one of my favorite parts of brew day is enjoying one of my beers while making more.

Drinking while brewing is a great way to get friends to help, especially when bottling. One time in University I actually ran short of bottles and had to have my friends drink a few aged ones to free up some bottles.

I sure had a pipeline then, usually a minimum of 10 cases bottled and four or five batches in various stages of fermentation.

I get pretty flustered and impatient when I'm waiting for something to happen when I'm brewing and like today I literally left the kitchen for maybe 30 seconds total in 5 hours of brewing. So cracking a beer (homebrew or otherwise) helps to ease my mind.

I always keep a nice 2.8% Ordinary Bitters on tap to sip on during brew day. Tough to smell that malted barley boiling away and not want to wet the whistle with a finished product.

Once the beer is in the fermenters...then I'll slide down a few taps and draw a nice Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale.

I drank some of my Honey porter while brewing tonight.I always drink while brewing.The first batch i made came out great,but i woke up with a huge mess and the carboy bubbling away on my kitchen floor exposed to light.I was pretty tore up that night.I have had a little more restraint for the next few brews though.

So for the first time in my life, I've currently drinking some of my own beer while I brew another batch. This is pretty damn exciting for me.

:mug:

I'm jealous! Can't wait. I'm going to crack open my first home-brew tomorrow evening!

They only brewing mistakes I've ever made were due to me being under the influence. I don't crack a beer until the wort is chilling.

I drank too much while brewing my last batch and I went ahead and made it a no chill batch and cleaned up the mess the next afternoon.....everything turned out all good though...brewing and drinking go hand in hand if you ask me....

I oncedrank too many dfh 90 minutes while brewing two separate 5 gal batches. my brewing partner passed out cold halfway thru the boil at around 1 am. Needless i swapped some of the yeasts I think, and forgot to label which was which. Guessed later one when I had to dry hop. But I think I ended up picking the wrong one. One was supposed to ferMent at colder temps but I wasn't sure which. Threw them both in the bathtub with water and left on vacation. They didint turn out too hot. Got better with age but ended being half cram half upas with funky tastes. Ended up drinking them over time while I was drunk. But also dumped a bunch. Now I find I'm too busy during brew day to drink more then one or two. I keep restricted to session beers.

I've only done this once while sitting in on someone else's session. Stop at 2-12 oz bottles yes but we finished off 2 - 1/2 gallon growlers between three people. Espresso Stout and an IPA -great stuff. However, I didn't handle the hot wort either - nor would I would have wanted to with that much stout and IPA in me.

I believe drinking is a required step. I always try to have a sample of what I'm brewing. I feel it helps the prepubescent beer know how its suposed to grow up.

That being said there are reasonable levels of drinking. We are working with boiling sugar water and potentially flameable turkey burners. I'm a complete light weight and can have 2-3 beers without an issue as long as they aren't imperials, triples, or apfelwein.

Back