2nd krausen ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Ok, newbie I am. Heres the story. AG of ale with liquid yeast. Early activity brisk but short at about avg. temp 68 ( white lab said best at 68 -73 degrees ). Sampled at day 7 with SG at about 1.022 whith target to be at about 1.12. Small swirl/shake after testing with remaining original krausen dissolving. In meantime, temp has gone up to about avg consistent 70 - 72 and I HAVE RESTART OF CO2 ACTION IN BLOWOFF AND A NEW KRAUSEN ON TOP!!!! May be stupid but did the restir/o2 exsposure and more importantly the higher temp reactivate the yeast??? Is this ok/normal?? thanks, doc

Is it normal and ok? Yes! There are a couple of things going on here. First, the swirling of the yeast may have helped reactivate them a little bit and no they're finishing their job. Same thing with the higher temps. When you stirred the primary, I'm taking it you just swirled it a bit, you didn't actually stir/aerate the beer any did you? Either way, some of the bubbles you are seeing may be some of the CO2 suspended in the solution as well.

I would personally just let it sit for another week and then either bottle or transfer over to the secondary for additional clearing. Good luck!

i concur, i think you just reinvigorated your yeasties. also, do you have lots of trub in the fermenter, like hop trub? cuz that could be a reason you didnt attenuate fully before you swirled. try to strain as much trub before going to the primary to prevent stuck fermentations. let it go another 7 days, then go to a secondary to clarify for 7-14 days. then bottle and age and enjoy.

No, I didnt stir --- just closed and rocked back/forth alittle bit. No trub on top into primary - was very clean.. Makes me wander if the lower threshold temps recommended arent right way to go - I was som worried about the high temps giving off flavors etc. Should you always go on up with temps during primary fermentation in ales regardless and rely on good technique to offset risk etc?? doc

There are other factors besides temperature that will affect how quickly and how low it finishes up - oxygenation and pitching rate (did you make a starter?) are probably the biggest (and mash temperatures if you're brewing AG).

I ferment my ales in the 64-66* range for the first 5-6 days, and let them warm up to 68 or so once they slow way down. 68 is certainly not too low of a temperature for an ale, in fact it's about my upper limit so I would say no on raising your temps. I'd simply give it more time, anymore I let them go for 2 weeks before I even check the gravity - so far I've yet to have one fail to reach FG by then.

Back