Using growlers for small-batch fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishka

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? I know the standard is 5 gal but that just doesn't seem very condusive to frequent experimentation.

One gallon growlers work great for small batches, if you want to compare yeasts or dry hops. Or make small batches of mead. The biggest problem is the lack of head room for the krausen.

I was just thinking if I could find two growlers/containers where one is 3/4 the size of the other then the smaller could be the secondary and larger one as primary. Just looking around the chem. building at my school there's tons of empty 4L bottles (and they look remarkably similar to growlers). If I could only find a 3L growler somewhere I'd be set. Well, I guess that's not quite it cuz there's air lock stoppers and overflow tubes to purchase - no big deal though.

I'm glad someone else has tried this small-batch thing. Thanks

There isn't any problem with using the same sized bottles. When you rack from the primary to the secondary enough CO2 comes out of the ale to protect the ale. You probably won't need overflow tubes, just put the jug in your sink and place a glass over the airlock. Also, small containers don't warm up as much during a ferment and are less likely to blow-off.

Latest posts

Back