Going to California and will have a lot of time and brain cells to kill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and her assistant will be going on a business trip at the end of April to Cali and myself and the assistant's husband will be tagging along.
So I want to hit as many brewpubs that I can while I'm there. This is my first time to the west side and I know there is a lot of beer out there that I can't get over here.

I'll be landing in San Francisco on a Friday morning and driving to Visalia for a breakfast meeting then on Saturday we need to be in Ripon but not sure if we are going there Friday night or Saturday morning. From there she does not have it all worked out yet but basically we will be making a loop around the San Francisco area. She does think we will be in Hanford at one point too.
The wife also has hopes of heading up to Napa Valley at some point to hit some wineries.

So I'll be there for 6 days and don't have a clue as to where to go.
If you have any places that you think I MUST go to please tell me I can use all the help I can get.

Here's a link for you..

Beer Travelers - California Brewpub Finder

Not a whole lot going on in Central Cali for brewpubs, I remember one in Fresno off of Shaw, Bulldog Brewing or something like that. That was a while ago though. It looks like there's a brewpub in Visalia, BrewBaker Brewing.

The Calistoga Inn makes a pretty good beer, if you make that far up the Napa Valley. Good food too.

Too bad you won't be farther North, you could stop into Sierra Nevada.

Well looking around the SF CA area I'm coming up with these.

Brewbakers
Full circle brewing
Vally brewing
Rogue Ales
Anchor brewing
Kelley Brothers brewing
Pleasanton Main ST brewery
Pacific Coast brewery
Jupiter
Marin brewing
Steehead brewery

Not sure what ones are good or bad. But all seem like they would not be to far to go. But then again, I've never been there so I have no idea how it is to get around over there.

You're hitting my area of California for this trip.

My recommendations:
SF: Anchor Brewing - A great historical brewery with brews you can't get anywhere but there.
Ripon/Manteca: Kelly Brothers - Ask lots of questions and tell them your a homebrewer. They'll give you extra special attention! The Four Towers IPA is pretty good.
Stockton (If you get there) Valley Brewing. Try the burger and yam fries with their house IPA. I used to go here once a week when I worked in Stockton.
When you're in the Napa area visit Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa. They won't have any Pliny the Younger on tap anymore, but they have some of the best beer on tap that your tongue will ever taste! Consecration is a must as well as their Valentine's beer Rejection. Pliny the Elder on tap is also something you have to do once in your life.
One word of advice in the Napa area. The cops are everywhere and they have a zero tolerance policy for drunk driving. Have a designated driver for sure!

Let us know where you went and what you liked best when you get back. :rockin:

Don't forget about 21st Amendment. If you can get her to settle on going to Sonoma you could hit Russian River in Santa Rosa as well.

oh good catch.. Russian River is the one place I want to go more then any of them but not sure if we will get that far north. Like I said I don't know how it is to get around over there. You tell me somewhere in MI and I can tell you how long it would take to get there. But over there I have no idea.

oh good catch.. Russian River is the one place I want to go more then any of them but not sure if we will get that far north. Like I said I don't know how it is to get around over there. You tell me somewhere in MI and I can tell you how long it would take to get there. But over there I have no idea.

From SF it would probably take you about an Hour and a Half to get up to Santa Rosa, just head North on the 101. You would pass right through Marin County, you could check out Moylan's in Novato and Marin Brewing in Larkspur. There's also Third Street Aleworks in Santa Rosa. From there it's probably 20-30 minutes to Sonoma. You'd also be passing right by Petaluma and could stop in at Lagunitas, and there are a couple of others Willowbrook and Dempseys.

At end of April spring will be starting and the weather will start getting nice. So there may be quite a few people out,especially when you get to SF. And SF can be pretty chilly so bring warm clothes, but you are from Michigan so it will probably feel warm to you.

I grew up in SoCal.

If I were you, and I could get away with it, I would skip it all for a chance to hit up Stone in San Diego. It is about a 7 hour drive from SF, but it IS the greatest brewery in America!!!

As someone from the area of SF and north, all the above are great suggestions.

SF:
21st Amendment
Speakeasy Brewery
Anchor Brewing (call now for a reservation for the tour, they book quickly)
Magnolia

North:
Marin Brewing - Larkspur (15mins north of SF), my favorite
Moylans - Novato (30mins north of SF)
Lagunitas - Petaluma (45mins north of SF, not a brewpub, but their brews are everywhere)
Third St Aleworks - Santa Rosa (60 mins, not my favorite, but good food)
Russian River - Santa Rosa
Bear Republic - Healdsburg (90 mins north of SF)

East:
Drakes
Pyramid
EJ Phair

Have fun when you come

As someone from the area of SF and north, all the above are great suggestions.

SF:
21st Amendment
Speakeasy Brewery
Anchor Brewing (call now for a reservation for the tour, they book quickly)
Magnolia

North:
Marin Brewing - Larkspur (15mins north of SF), my favorite
Moylans - Novato (30mins north of SF)
Lagunitas - Petaluma (45mins north of SF, not a brewpub, but their brews are everywhere)
Third St Aleworks - Santa Rosa (60 mins, not my favorite, but good food)
Russian River - Santa Rosa
Bear Republic - Healdsburg (90 mins north of SF)

East:
Drakes
Pyramid
EJ Phair

Have fun when you come

Ah, you beat me to it, I was going to suggest Bear Republic if up that way, I loves me a Racer 5 now and then!

about 2 hours north of Visalia or 1 hour east of Napa is Chico.....

in Chico, lies SIERRA NEVADA

there is an ok tour, but a pretty dang good restaurant with about 25 brews on tap (a lot of which you can get nowhere else)

about 2 hours north of Visalia or 1 hour east of Napa is Chico.....

in Chico, lies SIERRA NEVADA

there is an ok tour, but a pretty dang good restaurant with about 25 brews on tap (a lot of which you can get nowhere else)

Uhhh, Chico is about 5 hours north of Visalia, 2 hours north of Sacramento, which would be about 3 hours from Napa. But I agree that it is definitely worth going there if you are in the area.

Uhhh, Chico is about 5 hours north of Visalia, 2 hours north of Sacramento, which would be about 3 hours from Napa. But I agree that it is definitely worth going there if you are in the area.

shhhhh, I know it is, but I wanted him to go anyways.......:mug:

Thanks gang I knew you guys could help.
As for where I will end up will depend on where the wife has to be that day.
I'll keep you posted on where I went and what I thought.

So, it's almost here, do you have a plan? I must say, you have to make it a point to get to Santa Rosa and go to Russian River Brewing to have some Pliney the Elder from the tap. IMO, the best beer ever. It's like putting a fresh bag of hops over your head, absolutely perfect.

We are going to be in SF on the 23rd. I'm still wating to hear from the wife when and where we need to be every day. But I do have a long list of places to hit. :rockin:

It's not a brewpub, and they don't serve beer, but if you're going to the West Coast for the first time, you really need to hit up In-and-Out Burger. Double-double animal style, and some animal style fries, and you'll thank me.

Your stomach/bowels won't thank me, but you will.

It's not a brewpub, and they don't serve beer, but if you're going to the West Coast for the first time, you really need to hit up In-and-Out Burger. Double-double animal style, and some animal style fries, and you'll thank me.

Your stomach/bowels won't thank me, but you will.

I'm training for a Half Ironman so I think I'll pass on that. The beer is going to be bad enough.

I'm training for a Half Ironman so I think I'll pass on that. The beer is going to be bad enough.

You gotta do it. One hamburger is not going to get in the way of your training. I eat my fair share of burgers (and pretty much whatever the hell I want) when training for half ironmans, and I STILL lose weight. It's tough to keep even with that many calories being expended.

Just make sure you get a run or a swim (or both) in while you're out here. If you're in the wine country, you gotta- it's nice up there.

What race are you doing?

You gotta do it. One hamburger is not going to get in the way of your training. I eat my fair share of burgers (and pretty much whatever the hell I want) when training for half ironmans, and I STILL lose weight. It's tough to keep even with that many calories being expended.

Just make sure you get a run or a swim (or both) in while you're out here. If you're in the wine country, you gotta- it's nice up there.

What race are you doing?

I'm doing the Tawas Bay HIM in Michigan.
That's another thing I need to figure out. If there is any good lakes to swim, YMCA's or pools to use. I can just slap on the 305 to run and go where ever but I'm not a fan of sharks so inland lakes for me. :D

Schmaltz is in SF too, right? I've liked all the He'brew beers I've had.

Their slogan is "Conceived in San Francisco and Brewed in New York". Jeremy Cowan has a contract with Olde Saratoga Brewing in NY to make all the Schmaltz Brewing Company brews.

Well the wife has the places we need to be at and the days we are going to be there. So I have made a list of places we could hit. Wont get them all (or even close) but I'll do my best.

Tursday
land in San Fran at 2pm
drive to Russain River brewing CO (1 hour drive)
Drive to Ripon (hotel) (2 hours and 10 minutes)

Friday and Saturday
in Ripon

Valley Brewing Co
157 W Adams St
Stockton, CA 95204
(209) 464-2739‎
(30 minute drive from Ripon)

Jeff Runquist Wine
587 Helen Dr
Ripon, CA 95366
(209) 599-9463‎

Mc Manis Family Vineyards
18700 E River Rd
Ripon, CA 95366
(209) 599-1186‎

Vintner's Cellar
1446 Hulsey Way
Manteca, CA 95336
(209) 823-8900‎

Solomon Winery
1131 Kansas Ave
Modesto, CA 95351
(209) 577-9061‎

Delicato Vineyards
12001 S Highway 99
Manteca, CA 95336
(209) 824-3500‎
(209) 824-3600‎

E & J Gallo Winery
600 Yosemite Blvd
Modesto, CA 95354
(209) 341-3111‎

Gnekow Family Winery
17347 E Gawne Rd
Stockton, CA 95215
(209) 463-0697‎

SUNDAY
Drive to San Luis Obispo (4.5 hours)

Monday

Central Coast Brewing
1422 Monterey St # B100
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 783-2739‎

Creekside Brewing Co
1040 Broad St
(805) 542-9804‎

Domaine Alfred Winery
7525 Orcutt Rd
(805) 541-9463‎

Tolosa Winery
4910 Edna Rd
(805) 782-0500‎
(805) 782-0300‎

Edna Valley Vineyard
2585 Biddle Ranch Rd
(805) 544-5855‎

Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards
1947 See Canyon Rd
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
(805) 595-9700‎

Salisbury Vineyards
6985 Ontario Road
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
(805) 595-9463‎

Wolff Vineyards
6238 Orcutt Rd
(805) 781-0448‎

Baileyana Winery
5828 Orcutt Rd
(805) 269-8200‎

Claiborne & Churchill Vintners
2649 Carpenter Canyon Rd
(805) 544-4066‎

Shadow Canyon Cellars
846 Higuera St # 5
(805) 781-0862‎

Windemere Winery
3536 S Higuera St # 250
(866) 833-9463‎

Piedra Creek Winery
6425 Mira Cielo
(805) 541-1281‎

Stephen Ross Wine Cellars
178 Suburban Road
(805) 594-1318‎

Saucelito Canyon Vineyard
3080 Biddle Ranch Rd
(805) 543-2111‎

Paragon Vineyard Co Inc
4915 Orcutt Rd
(805) 544-9080‎

Tuesday
Drive to Anaheim (4 hours)

Bootlegger's Brewery
401 S Richman Ave
Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 871-2337‎

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
1623 W Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 288-0115‎

Elsa Winery & Mead
625 W Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 639-6323‎

Fosters Wine Estates
4879 E La Palma Ave # 205
Anaheim, CA 92807
(714) 258-8580‎

Wednesdsay
drive up to San Francisco (6.5 hours)

Thirstybear Brewing Co
661 Howard St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 974-5624‎
(415) 974-0905‎

San Francisco Brewing Co.
155 Columbus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) 986-1386‎
(415) 434-3344‎

Rogue Ales Public House
673 Union St
San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) 362-7880‎

21st Amendment Brewery Cafe
563 2nd St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 369-0900‎

Anchor Brewing Co
1705 Mariposa St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 863-8350‎

Steel Brewing Company
San Francisco, CA 94107
(877) 667-8335‎

Steelhead Brewing Company
353 Jefferson St
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 775-1795‎

Pacific Coast Brewing Co
906 Washington St
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 836-2739‎

BreweryTriple Rock Brewery
1920 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 549-5999‎
(510) 843-2739‎

Jupiter
2181 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 843-8277‎

Viansa Winery
334 Grant Ave
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 391-0207‎

Wattle Creek Winery
900 North Point Street #E-211
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 359-1206‎

Ristow Vineyard
2518 Pacific Ave
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 931-5405‎

Fort Ross Vineyards
550 Indiana St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 701-9200‎

Stuhlmuller Vineyards
35 Stillman St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 546-9463‎

Thursday
Flyout in the afternoon

Definitely go to Runquist. One of the best syrahs I've ever had... I still have a bottle of it.

As for the Anaheim area- Bootlegger is very cool. Unfortunately, I think they're only open for tastings on friday and saturday, but if you call ahead you can probably go check it out. The head brewer, Aaron, is a really nice guy... and they have some good beers. See if he will give you a sample of their barrel aged golden ale :)

If you're going to go to bootlegger's, you absolutely have to go to The Bruery. It's only a few miles away, and they have some truly excellent beer.

I do the same thing - every time I am going to a new place I scope out the bre pubs. In SF - I really liked Steelhead brewery. Their beer selection was wide, and I actually liked most of every style. Of course, Gordon Biersch is a California staple and makes some really good beer as well.

Dan

I went to college in San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Central Coast is a good choice. They are a BOP (Brew on Premisis) and are the reason I got into brewing. They are very cool and will sit down and have a beer with you. However, they are small, very very small. The entire brewery is the size of a large living room. Worth a couple hours though.

If I were you, I would skip a few of those wineries and check out Firestone Walker Brewery in Paso Robles, CA. It is about 30 minutes north of SLO on the 101 and is definatley worth the trip. I grew up on (in college at least) FW's Double Barrel Ale. Very, very good oak aged bitter. Give it a try!

Have fun!:rockin:

I'm also a wine lover and so is the wife. I think the other couple that is going with us is more wine drinkers then beer so I have the wineries in there too.
It's going to a a play it by ear thing for the most part. The wife will be working so I have not figured out if she will have the rental car or I will. The only one I MUST go to is Russian River I NEED me some Elder. After that I'm good with what ever.

While in SLO you must hit up Avila Beach, it's only about 15-20 min from there south on the 101. Not any breweries but it's very beautiful, it's a must see. Oh, I don't know if it's still there or not but you should look for a resturant called The Jetty, excellent seafood right on the boardwalk.

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=san+luis+obispo+ca&daddr=avila+beach+ca&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=35.190224,-120.713654&sspn=0.039772,0.065918&ie=UTF8&ll=35.204392,-120.666618&spn=0.15906,0.263672&t=h&z=12[/ame]

While in SLO you must hit up Avila Beach, it's only about 15-20 min from there south on the 101. Not any breweries but it's very beautiful, it's a must see. Oh, I don't know if it's still there or not but you should look for a resturant called The Jetty, excellent seafood right on the boardwalk.

from: san luis obispo ca to: avila beach ca - Google Maps

The wife just sent me an email saying that for two nights we are staying at the Avila Village Inn :ban:

I didn't check the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned it already, but since you're including anaheim, swing by placentia to check out The Bruery. really excellent slightly twisted belgian styles (a black wit, a wit with lavender, a triple with thai basil, etc)

http://www.thebruery.com

Back