brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty0341

Reaction score
I recently was given a 1 gallon recipe kit. While reading the instructions I realized I need to get a bigger brewing kettle. I am on a very tight budget, and would like a 20 quart kettle (5 gallons) but will settle for a anything that will make a 2 gallon batch. Any suggestions on places, or websites that will cost $25 to $30.

If its an extract and steeping grains I used to use a 3gallon pot before I went all grain steep the grains in 1.5gallons. Remove grains sparge(rinse) the grains with 1/2 gallon 170F water. Add extract to the now approx. 2 gallons bring to boil. After your boil is finished rack to fermenter and top off with water to desired volume.

Check out your local kitchen supply store, you should be able to get a decent 5gal+ Alu pot for around $40, also worth checking Craigslist for restaurant sales etc.

With canning season just finished in some areas you may want to try kijiji. Hardware stores can also have dent and scratch pricing on big, thin SS pots. They dent easily but work great. I picked one up for half price a while back.

Does it matter if its stainless steel, or aluminum?

Cue Pandora. That's a very contentious issue on many food and brew forms. What the answers collectively lack in clarity they more than make up in polarity.

Latest posts

Back