Thanks...Mom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullDraw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Mother-in-law,

Thanks for watching the boys last night so that I could work my side job, the one that gives me the cash to pay for my hobbies. It's really nice to be able to do that sometimes.

I heard you fed the kids. Great. Three boys need to eat and hot dogs are always a winner. Glad you didn't use my brand new grill that I just put together last weekend. You're not good on the grill anyway, and honestly, I'm not ready to share it with anyone, including your daughter, and I know her intimately.

So, I see you didn't go boiled either. I grew up on hotdog soup, so that option would have been fine, but no, you fried them...in my cast iron.

When I came in and smelled the aroma, it actually got me a bit hungry, well done. Then I asked if you used soap on my precious iron. "Nope!" you quickly replied - at least she's learned one lesson. No one is allowed to use soap on my iron.

But then this morning, I'm going to whip up a few eggs for your daughter, she likes them "dippy". And I notice my pan. Kinda gray, like black and gray camo. Looks like you scrapped the snot out of it with either the spatula, tongs, or 80 grit to clean that sumbitch up last night. I do remember hearing you "hit it with some pam" when you were done. But the blackness that has taken me years to create, the number of pounds of bacon grease that have created that, that I have lovingly served to your grandsons, all scarred by one night of hot doggin.

I'll recover. That pan is older than me, we'll be fine. The kids loved their time with Grammy. I've got some hours under my belt so that next brewday can now happen.

Just please, stick to the teflon pan that your daughter uses. It's safer for both of us. Or just boil them next time.

Your oh so grateful Son-in-law.

How do you get your iron clean if you do not use soap and water? I usually clean my iron with hot water and soap, I then dry it really well and bake on some EVOO. Is that wrong?

If something is really stuck on a stiff bristled brush is what you should use for cast iron, or if really bad some salt and aluminum foil.

How do you get your iron clean if you do not use soap and water? I usually clean my iron with hot water and soap, I then dry it really well and bake on some EVOO. Is that wrong?

With a perfectly seasoned cast iron pan, water is usually enough. I also use a plastic dollar store putty knife if I need to "scrape" any hard bits off. Especially if you've deglazed the pan before hand.

I have a nearly 100 year old dutch oven that I use for nearly everything. That has such a perfect season on it that it is a snap to clean.

LMAO @ OP. There are not that many ways to get kicked out of my kitchen but using soap on my wok or cast iron will get you exiled into the living room.

And don't season with EVOO -- it can oxidize or go rancid and it's pretty gross tasting. Stick to veggie oil, corn oil, bacon fat, Crisco, or sesame oil (for the wok).

Cleaning should just require some hot water and a nylon brush.

And don't season with EVOO -- it can oxidize or go rancid and it's pretty gross tasting. Stick to veggie oil, corn oil, bacon fat, Crisco, or sesame oil (for the wok).
If your pan's unseasoned or been stripped for whatever reason, I highly recommend the flaxseed oil method described by Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen.

Or, thank m-i-l for all the good she did with the boys and just make an offhand "gee-wizz!" vent to a forum of third parties who, presumably, wont be upset that you did...

Ungrateful. Hide the pan next time or lay out the rules in a clearer manner.

My biggest worry with cast iron is a filet mignon on Tuesday tasting like the salmon on Monday if I dont use soap and lots of lemon or salt.

I usually boil some water in my cast iron pans, scrape out what I can and wipe down with lard. Lard is much better than any veg oil for cast iron.

Honestly, if the pan is seasoned well enough, a quick wash with soap won't hurt it in the least. Repeated washings with soap and/or scrubbing is a bad idea. There is no reason to use soap anyway, but that is beside the point.

A lot of people either don't use Cast Iron, or use it wrong. It's not their fault they are ignorant. You should be happy that someone watched your kids and put up with the small inconvenience of having to reseason the pan.

Could be worse. I've found mine in the dishwasher. The ONE time anybody ever loaded it and turned it on.

Ugh, boyfriend almost got a divorce when I found my favorite cast iron pan dishwashed. Had to reseason it because it was relatively new.

Since then we moved to a home with a glass top stove, so I can't use my wonderful cast irons.

Another good way to clean a well-seasoned cast iron without water:

1.) Wipe it clean with a paper towel
2.) Use rock salt or sea salt as an abrasive to "scrub" any stuck bits off the pan . This also helps pick up remaining oil in the pan.

I've never thought of frying a hot dog, but I will now.

Sorry about your cast iron.

Since then we moved to a home with a glass top stove, so I can't use my wonderful cast irons.

You can, just be very careful not to move it around a lot, make sure the bottom is really well seasoned and smooth( I actually took the sander to the bottom of mine to make it perfectly smooth, then seasoned the heck out of it)

I do it fairly often at my parents house, and they have a white glasstop. So it shows every imperfection. Mom does it also, not as often as I do. I would not suggest only cooking on cast iron on glasstops, but for things that go from stovetop to oven I would do it. Also don't put the hot cast iron back onto the stovetop, put it onto a trivet.

I had to buy SWMBO her own cast iron. Mine are ancient with a great season. My wife just doesn't understand you can't let these soak in water overnight every time you use it :(

After the second time I had to reseason she got her own pan. I don't care how often she screws it up as long as she leaves mine alone.

As far as using on flat cooktops, don't worry about it, just don't scoot them around or you may scratch.

Dude................. time to man up!

She watched YOUR kids so YOU could earn some extra $$$ for YOUR hobby. She even fed YOUR kids.

And you're upset because YOUR pan was cleaned but not the way YOU like it? WTF?

Priorities man. Priorities. I know this is a man site, dedicated to a man's hobby, but YOU sound ridiculous. YOUR Man-Card has now been revoked.

How are YOU gonna get it back? Ripping me a new one is not how YOU are gonna do it.

Until I discovered the internet, I didnt know that there were so many people who never get irked by little things. Personally, now that I know I am one of a very few people who gets annoyed by things that arent matters of life and death, I am really feeling inferior. Here's my man card too, slyko, you can have it. You obviously want it.

There are always petty issues that people with nothing else to worry about complicate their lives with.

Dude,

It's not for me. I don't hate. I'm not trying to dis you. As noted, this whole issue is rather petty.

Step back. This is an opportunity to learn.

It's OK. You've already seen it. Good for you. I'm out! ;)

Until I discovered the internet, I didnt know that there were so many people who never get irked by little things. Personally, now that I know I am one of a very few people who gets annoyed by things that arent matters of life and death, I am really feeling inferior. Here's my man card too, slyko, you can have it. You obviously want it.

mancard.jpg

*cough, cough* A man's site and a man's hobby? Well then, I better get my husband to start making the brews then. I'll watch him while eating bonbons and drinking some IPA. Actually, sounds really good on bottling days...

Dude,

It's not for me. I don't hate. I'm not trying to dis you. As noted, this whole issue is rather petty.

Step back. This is an opportunity to learn.

It's OK. You've already seen it. Good for you. I'm out! ;)

Apperently you are not enough of a Man to realize good Cast Iron is a Tool. Just like a table saw, Big Freaking Screwdriver, or a Sawzal, it has to be respected and treated right. I guess your wife controls the tools in your house, just like she controls your man card :tank:

Oh, did all the good posts get deleted? That's no fun. :)

Guess we're back on topic then. We made hot dogs on the GForeman last night. Didn't wash the tool before or after it was used. Dang they were good, 'specially since it had a nice patina of turkey burger residue from the previous night.

Kittyfeet said:
Oh, did all the good posts get deleted? That's no fun. :)

Guess we're back on topic then. We made hot dogs on the GForeman last night. Didn't wash the tool before or after it was used. Dang they were good, 'specially since it had a nice patina of turkey burger residue from the previous night.

That's gross. You can clean teflon with a paper towel like you would cast iron. Add salt if you have some stuck on gunk.
Oh and cast iron works just fine on a glass top stove...I did it for years.

Back