Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New brewer here in Suffolk County (Ridge). My son and I began brewing about 7 months ago. We'll brew our 5th & 6th 5-Gal. batch this weekend. We wouldn't mind meeting up with some other local home-brew folks!
Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg, welcome aboard! The Brew and Beyond meetings are fun. I occasionally meet with other brewers elsewhere, and I'm open to other meetings. We could set up an LI/HBT meeting sometime.

B.E.E.R. meeting Monday 7/16 @7:30 location Port Jeff Station LI Pourhouse (with self serve taps).
Hop Brothers from Hudson NY will be the guest speakers, and they may have some hops for sale. HB share after the meeting is adjourned. Feel free to attend, it's a nice club with really good people.

Any suggestions on a LHBS to get fresh ingredients on L.I.?

I use to go to Arbor but after they closed i started getting extracts and supplies from kedco since they are right down the street from me.

I started noticing that the malt extracts were a few years expired. Figured eventually I would see fresh extracts but that hasnt been the case. Bought one of their kits and the extract was from 2007.

So needless to say looking for a place that has fresh ingre

Karps in East Northport is good. They are on Larkfield Road just north of the train station.

There is a shop in East Patchogue... Brew and Beyond. If he does not have it he will order it for you, and his hops are kept in a refrigerator.

I plan to check out the Squarehead opening today. If you're there and want to say hello, I'm a white guy, 6'5" tall, 230#, brown hair, gray beard. -John

All I can say is: too crowded. I worried that it might be, but we drove over anyway. There was a line to the street just to get beer. I'm glad to see the thriving craft scene on LI, but I'll go back another day. We drove out to Riverhead and visited North Fork instead, where we had great beer. On the way, we stopped for BBQ and met a professional brewer from Captain Lawrence, who was very friendly and supportive.

image.jpeg
I made it to Square Head on Sunday about an hour before closing. It was still busy, but not line to the street busy. The two brews I had were good. They were pouring 18 beers! I also picked up a saison aged in whiskey barrel to take home.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.
I just had a West Hampton Beach Irish Eyes Cream Stout....IT WAS FRICKIN AWESOME!!!
Not sure if it has made it off the Island yet. Grill in the Ville In Farmingville has it on tap. Its like a tart Chocolate milk shake with no coffee flavor.

If anyone has had it and can point me to a similar flavor recipe I'd like to try it.

Whoa, I went to the WHB brewery yesterday and thought that one was overly sweet, good but sweet. Hubby liked it. I should have stuck with the blond.

Whoa, I went to the WHB brewery yesterday and thought that one was overly sweet, good but sweet. Hubby liked it. I should have stuck with the blond.
I dont normally drink dark beers and dont like coffee flavors. The sweetness of this beer hit the spot for me. Its not a slammer but for a nightcap it would fit the bill. I was trying to figure out the tartness. Maybe it was a little underlying raisiny. I was thinking maybe a lot of Special B...What do you think?

I dont normally drink dark beers and dont like coffee flavors. The sweetness of this beer hit the spot for me. Its not a slammer but for a nightcap it would fit the bill. I was trying to figure out the tartness. Maybe it was a little underlying raisiny. I was thinking maybe a lot of Special B...What do you think?
image.jpeg
I think you are right about the special B the tartness didn't come through for me much. I wonder if they would cold steep the dark grist at the brewery... Seems like that would be a time consuming departure from general practice, but on the HB level it keeps the coffee roasty flavors down. If I recall the stout was 49 IBUs.

image.jpeg

This is not exactly a brew centric event, but I thought I'd share it since it is so reasonable. To make it more reasonable tickets purchased by 12/4/18 are $10 off. Good incentive to buy early. The club has craft and imported beer in bottles Bluepoint Toasted and Bud on tap. With an open bar, that might not matter. :)

image.jpeg

Okay we are getting down to the wire on this party. There are 2 ways to get tickets-- at the club on Sundays between noon and 5 (if you hear any "might not happen" BS call the 417 number) or just call the 417 number to arrange a pick up. BTW, the bar has a fairly good selection of craft and some imported beer. It will be fun, also raffles for baskets of cheer.

Latest posts

Back