Questions about upgrading system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentwoten

Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently an extract brewer and Im trying to move to all grain. Im trying to decide what would be the best route to go as far as buying equipment. Ive already purchased a 10gal round Igloo cooler for my mash tun. I was wondering if i should buy another cooler for my HLT (was gonna purchase the one on morebeer with the sparge attachment) or Should i buy another burner and use my keggles for a HLT. Ive already have a keg and ball valve just need a thermometer. I managed to get two kegs for free and was eventually going to a three burner system way down the road. Anyways for right now what would be the best options for me?? thanks guys any comments on what you did would be awesome.

If you're going to batch sparge then you won't need a second cooler for an HLT.

My friend and I started out with a keggle for our HLT / BK and a cooler for our MLT. We built a wooden stand for our single burner with a piece of stainless sheet metal on top to prevent the wood from getting too hot. It was tall enough so that we could gravity drain into our garden hose counterflow chiller (which was put on a smaller, lower stand) and that second stand was tall enough to gravity drain into our carboys.

It got to be a pain moving hot liquids around, so we moved on to a three-tier system (two burners and a new dedicated keggle HLT) that makes things a lot easier. We also have a pump to pump the wort from the BK through the chiller into the carboys. Much faster than gravity draining. But it's nice to have the three tier with the pump - if the pump ever fails us on a brew day, we can always resort to gravity as our plan B.

i would have said go to another cooler until you said you had a keg w/valve. might as well make that the HLT. you can do just about anything with that set up while you are thinking about what type of sculpture you want to go with.
I was going to go with a three tier a few years ago and after mulling it over for a year or so i decided to go with a single tier just cuz i didn't want to step up on a ladder and I didn't want to lift so much.
Stick with what you have on hand since you already have pretty much all you need to start a system. after a while you will figure out what you want in the long run and then start to adjust and spend the money on what you want/need.
good luck! of course, just my thoughts.

Bentwoten - if you're interested in that HLT from morebeer.com let me know and I'll see what I can help you out with :)

I used coolers for about a year, and even after getting my sculpture stand still used the coolers on it until I could afford the kettles. The coolers work VERY well unless you're trying to do a step mash. Let me know if you're interested in the H716 HLT...

Cheers!

Right now I have two kegs both drilled and cut. One already has a ball valve and I was going to eventually get sight glass and thermometer kit. Plus I've already got one cooler to mash in. I was planning on fly sparging and doing gravity fed for now. Just couldn't decide whether or not I'd be better off buying a burner and stuff to finish my keggle or just doing the cooler route for HLT.
Looking at cost I could get a burner a accessories for the kegs at about the same cost as the cooler. I'm just trying to make my mind up and get some feedback. I just really wanna jump into all grain now. I can't wait any longer. Lol

Well that cost doesn't include the propane is be using. And really at first I wouldn't really need to buy a burner I can use the one I have. When I'm finished mashing in and collecting wort is could just put my kettle on the burner of course I'd have to lift 7 gallons of wort

of course I'd have to lift 7 gallons of wort

When I brew 5 gallon batches I only use one burner (even though I have two) and I use my BK for an HLT. I lauter into a bottling bucket and then drain through the spigot into my BK after I dump my sparge water. Then I do the same with the second runnings. This way you only have to lift half of the preboil wort at one time.

Edit

Oh, that's right you're fly sparging. You would need two buckets.

Back