Low IBU increase boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdarr40

Reaction score
I ordered ingredients for a recipe but the AAUs for the hops turned out to be 3% instead of 4.4%, which is what my recipe requires.

My recipe IBU originally was 59 but now it is 41 with the lower AAU hops.
Can I just increase the boil time of the hop additions or do I need to purchase more hops.

I am using Crystal hops in the recipe and do not have a substitute. All I have on hand besides the Crystal are Saaz and Northern Brewer.

You could do a late extract addition and your IBU's will be higher.

Edit:- I just realized I didnt answer your question. I dont believe extending your boil time will improve your hop utilization. Maybe give it a quick search just to be sure.

Ahhhh, all grain.....I dont know as I do PM's. Hopefully someone else chimes in for ya.

What you can do is brew the low IBU now. Get more hops later. Boil them in a quart of water in a saucepan for however long the original boil was. Add to fermenter. I've done this several times to increase the bitterness and/or aroma of beers that were still in the fermenter.

Going from a 60 minute boil to a 90 minute boil will only increase IBUs by 10%. I'd make up the IBUs with a little NB.

Grams of hops = volume in litres x IBU / utilisation / AAU / 1000

Grams = 25 x 37.5 /.2 /.062 / 1000 = 75.6 grams

Just accommodate the hops you have with the right volume for the IBU required . Add more crystal .

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back