My local brewery is on FIRE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graphicgeek80

Reaction score
I can't believe it! My local brewery, The FX Matt Brewery maker of Saranac beers, is engulfed in flames right now. I think I could cry.

Lets hope all the firefighters and employees are safe. I knew you guys would feel my pain.

As a firefighter I have to say that I love going to fires (our joy unfortunately is usually somebody elses misery) but when its your local brewery, now that's just not right. I also hope everyone is well and can only say thankfully you homebrew.

Oh dear God, say it ain't so!! Saranac was my introduction to good beer, and their new Imperial IPA and Imperial Stout have given me new respect for them after expanding my horizons.

Maybe we should take up a collection for them. Seriously.

Oh dear God, say it ain't so!! Saranac was my introduction to good beer, and their new Imperial IPA and Imperial Stout have given me new respect for them after expanding my horizons.

Same here...the Saranac variety pack broke my craft beer cherry. I hope that everybody is okay.

I think I'll go to the beer store to load up on Saranac.

I was in the backyard practicing soccer with my daughter when SWMBO called me inside. She rewound the news to show my the tragedy. Hope nobody is hurt and they didn't sustain too much damage. I have always enjoyed Saranac brews particularly their pale ale and black & tan. In fact, right there on my key chain is my trusty Saranac bottle opener...

To anyone interested it appears to mainly be their bottling facility. If you have taken the tour there are multiple complexes. So hopefully only their bottling capabilities and some stores will be lost. Time will tell.

Man I love Saranac! That's horrible news. They call it a "bump in the road" though. Hope they're ok.

This sucks. I am a firefighter and this would kill me, Get to do a job I love for a beverage I love. I would bet every true beer loving fireman down there is doing his best. I love there Black Forest!!!

I just saw this on the news here in Rochester... and I wanted to cry too. The news stated it as a "total loss" as the roof collapsed into the three story building and adjacent buildings burned. Horrible. Just horrible. I never LOVED Saranac, but it was damn fine beer - always reliable for their IPA, Pale Ale, Nut Brown, Season's best, etc. What a shame.

Are you sure you didn't set it because the brewery was cutting in on your hops supply?
hehe

Sorry, but to be serious thats a bummer. Keep us updated.

UTICA, N.Y. – Crews continued to fight a massive fire at a popular brewery in the City of Utica. The fire erupted at the FX Matt Brewery around 5 p.m. Thursday, starting in the second floor bottling room.

Police evacuated several blocks around the brewery because the fire was believed to be ammonia based. The large amount of smoke was due to burning cardboard and plastics.

The fire marshall said this type of fire is difficult to control.

All of the brewery employees made it out safely, but two were treated for smoke inhalation.

http://news10now.com/content/top_stories/117066/fire-at-fx-matt-brewery/Default.aspx

UTICA, N.Y. – Crews continued to fight a massive fire at a popular brewery in the City of Utica. The fire erupted at the FX Matt Brewery around 5 p.m. Thursday, starting in the second floor bottling room.

Police evacuated several blocks around the brewery because the fire was believed to be ammonia based. The large amount of smoke was due to burning cardboard and plastics.

The fire marshall said this type of fire is difficult to control.

All of the brewery employees made it out safely, but two were treated for smoke inhalation.

http://news10now.com/content/top_stories/117066/fire-at-fx-matt-brewery/Default.aspx
That's some bad news, luckily no one was hurt. I like their 12 beers that they put out every christmas. I hope that the fire wasn't too bad and that the brewery workers are not out of work too long.

Visited FX Matt last fall on a Syracuse/Utica brewtour. Was definitely the best of the breweries/micros we visited and we hit Syracuse Suds, Middle Ages, Empire, etc. etc. on the trip. It was the highlight of the trip other than Blue Tusk and Clark's Ale House in Syracuse (both on the Top 100 place to grab a beer)... We grabbed probably 5 pints each after the $5 tour b/c there was a stein event going on and it was basically "open bar" despite the tickets they gave out.

Here's some pics I took of FX while on the trip-
Tasting Room:
5841-Saranac12.JPG

Some other sideroom on the tour:
5841-Saranac5.JPG

SWMBO by Safety sign - glad all the folks got out alive!:
5841-Saranac11.JPG

Parts of the brewery (tbc):
5841-Saranac6.JPG

last I heard bottling will be back up June 30th while canning has been outsourced to a brewery in Rochester. The brewery is still having tours and will still be having Saranac Thursdays.
This place is the reason I got into microbrews and homebrewing. I was so happy to hear the Matt's comments on their employees and the future of the brewery. F.X. would be proud! :mug:

i remember this, my friend from back home was emailing me about it, he could see the smoke from his place. thank god all ended well!

Back