Is this beer infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without seeing the pictures I'd say not likely. Unless you've been badly unsanitary and/or been opening the lid often infections in primary are quite rare. What we usually see are bits of break material and yeast that have been brought to the surface by the bubbles of CO2.

Can you view the pics now

IMG_0161.jpg

I lean no infection, but I can't tell if there's a film on some of those bubbles. Here are two example photos: No infection in #1, Infection in #2. Does any part of it look more like Pic 2 in person?

IwX1oql.jpg

aoha1.jpg

Looks much more like number 2 I'll check again for hazy or slime. If I rack to secondary is there anything else I should look for. Perhaps a taste can give me a clue if it won't kill me

Looks much more like number 2 I'll check again for hazy or slime. If I rack to secondary is there anything else I should look for. Perhaps a taste can give me a clue if it won't kill me
DONT RACK TO SECONDARY...Your only spreading the infection if there is one,secondaries are an old way of brewing.Leave it in the primary until racking to bottle or keg!!

Nothing that can harm you will survive in beer. If it tastes good, great. If it tastes bad, you can dump it and try again.

All I see are yeast rafts and residual proteins. Remember, most infections don't even show signs until at least 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back