pitch on slurry vs starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I plan on brewing next wkd - a 10 gallon batch with OG of .1073. According to Mr Malty, I would have to step up to nearly a 7l starter, and I just don't have the equipment for that - at least not a stir plate that can hold a 3 gallon glass.....

I have a beer fermenting right now - a 10 gallon batch, OG .1064. I've never re-pitched - could rack off to a secondary or to a keg (it will be done by then) and simply pour the new wort on the yeast in the fermenter? For what it's worth it is W'Yeast ESB.

The only alternative other than buying a ton of packets, is to build up as big a starter as I can and cross my fingers.

Racer 5 esque - huge IPA. The ESB yeast is not ideal - although Deschutes apparently uses this strain for a lot of their beers. If I go the starter route I would likely go with American Ale II

Your ESB is on the high end gravity wise of what I would use to repitch a yeast. As well, I don't like repitching from a high hop beer...but figure your ESB is not that high. That said, given the choice I would use Mr. Malty to calculate how much slurry you need and then wash it up and use that before risking the loss of 10 gallons b/c of underpitching...or worse yet the start of the 5000 thread on how to restart a stuck fermentation.

Back