Recipe Tweaking Advice Request: What to do with Extra Hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elganso

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may be one of those "it's not gonna make a difference" questions, but thought I'd ask those wiser than I to make sure.

I've got an AHS American Amber Ale kit (partial mash) that uses 2 oz of Amarillo hops throughout the boil that I'll be cookin' up soon. I also have a 1/4 oz of both Warrior and Cascade hops left over from a previous kit that I thought I'd use up since they're still fresh.

I figure an extra 1/2 oz of hops won't really change the complexion of the beer that much and always happy to have a hoppier beer. So, I am planning to throw them in as follows (following the recipe, except for my extra hop additions):

• 60 Minutes - 1 oz Amarillo + 1/4 oz Warrior
  • 15 minutes - 1/2 oz Amarillo
  • 5 minutes - 1/2 oz Amarillo
  • 0 minutes - 1/4 oz Cascade

Thoughts? Concerns? Other ideas?

Thanks much!

That 1/4 ounce of Warrior will make a big bittering difference at 60 minutes (about 15 IBU or so), since it's such a high alpha hop. I'd add it much later if I were you- at 20 minutes or later. Otherwise, have fun!

Back